1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Sheffield -- Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 11, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Just curious how he's viewed. His stats are stellar (490 HR, 9-time all-star, six-time silver slugger, finished in top three in MVP voting three times, .293 career ba) but theres the cloud of association with Bonds/steroids.

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's the Jim Rice of his era, and will probably receive the treatment and fate.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He's not even Jim Rice.

Rice was at least considered the best power hitter in the AL for a period of time.

4. heyabbott

Rice was better in his era than Sheffield was in his, but they are, to me, remarkably similar

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Not really. Sheffield's numbers are better compared to the league averages of his time. Rice is going to make it in eventually. Sheffield has some steroid questions hovering over his head. I'd say no, unless you put the other steroids guys in there.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sheffield also has a rep as a miserable, selfish prick and a royal pain in the ass in every lockerrom he's ever been in.

7. heyabbott

Rice was in the top 10 for hits, average, homer runs and RBIs more times than Sheffield. Rice was an MVP, Sheffield not, thought Sheffield won a batting title.
    Rice led the league in HRs 3 times

8. novelist_wannabe

It occurred to me after the original post that his, shall we say, unorthodox methods of negotiating his contracts probably don't help him.

9. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

That's fine. Sheffield's numbers are better compared to the league averages of his time. Both are about 100 points better in slugging. Sheff is 60 points better in on-base. Rice is 15 points better. It's close overall.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sheff's way of negotiating his contracts:

"I want my fucking money."

11. novelist_wannabe

They all say that in one way or another. Sheffield's MO, though, is to start in how the club has disrespected him in some way, and he always goes about it very publicly, which, now that I think about it, actually should ingratiate him to writers who can vote for him. But yeah, miserable prick in the clubhouse is pretty accurate.

12. casty33

casty33 Active Member

At this point, I can't see myself voting for him. But as I always say, I don't have to make that decision yet and, maybe when I do, I won't be around. So there.

Draft saved Draft deleted