1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Sheffield, Big Brother?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by silvershadow1981, May 29, 2007.

1. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2885512

Thoughts, anyone?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Good for Gary, go lend your help and support to another rich athlete and let the threatened school teacher and her impressionable students fend for themselves.

3. boots

boots New Member

Gary is a down to earth good guy who has gotten a bad rap ever since he made it to the show. If I was a youngster in the majors, I'd listen to a voice of experience.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

"If you really want to get out of Tampa, here's what you do...."

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Gary seems like perfect guy to talk to Dukes, maybe take him under his wing. Why would anyone be against this nice effort on his part?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man oh man.

Down to earth? Good guy? Bad rap?

He deserves every inch of bad press he's ever received.

7. boots

boots New Member

Evidently you have not spent much quality time with him.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I won't debate Sheff's character or past, but what exactly is wrong with him actually trying to help a young player?

9. boots

boots New Member

Exactly my point.

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Because god forbid someone actually tries to ruin this path of destruction others seem to feast on. I guess some want to see Dukes carry out his threats so they can say "told you so".

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

To each his own, I guess.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

*bump*

Down To Earth Good Guy Sheff threw his bat in the direction of an umpire and had to be restrained by at least two people from going after the guy when he was ejected today.

Yup. That's a good guy right there. Just the guy I want mentoring a troubled kid. Maybe he can tell him how he DIDN'T punch that fan at Fenway two years ago!

Draft saved Draft deleted