1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Mihoces retires from USA Today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, May 11, 2015.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I believe he finishes this week. He was one of the people on board from the start there in 1982. Great guy.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Indeed. Very dry sense of humor, like the best of them.

I can find something bad to say about almost anyone I've worked with and I can't think of a bad thing to say about him.

3. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Outstanding individual. Loved working with him. He did everything from the NFL to horse racing to bull riding and poker tournaments. Incredibly versatile, hard-working guy. I wish him well in retirement.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Wait? Gannett allows people to retire? I don't believe that. They'll probably lay him off the day before his final day.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. lkoon

lkoon New Member

It's a buyout, nine months after an extra-scary layoff purge. Otherwise I think Gary would have stayed forever, he loved it and is SO GREAT.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Looks like David Leon Moore is gone, too. Another great guy leaving the newspaper world. This if from his Facebook posting yesterday:

David Leon Moore
    May 14 at 2:30pm · Moorpark, CA ·
    I just put a "30" on a USC pre-season football feature -- a fitting last act for this old Trojan to put a "30" on 33 years at USA TODAY, 37 at Gannett, 40 including The Daily Trojan. I'd like to say goodbye to all my old friends who are still working at the paper.
    So, bye Erik Brady.
    dlmoore@usatoday.com is down for the count, but not dlmoore.
    To those of you are leaving with me or left before me, I cherish being one of you. We had the best times together and did great work together.
    To the new generation carrying on, best of luck to you. You are so talented. I enjoyed working with you briefly.
    To all of us, be nice to one another, help each other when you can and, as long as they're out there, buy a newspaper or two.
    You know where you can find me -- Dodger games, mountain trails, in the ocean, on Facebook.
    Onward.
    DLM
    5/14/15

Draft saved Draft deleted