1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Gary Has a Lake 2: Everyone in Indiana Isn't a Racist Dumbass'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is that like from Milan to Minsk?

QYFW likes this.
  2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

There are rankings?

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They are housed at the secret board, like the other site has.

SpeedTchr and YankeeFan like this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A pair of lists actually. The 10 most liberal posters and the 10 smartest liberal posters.

My brother would be the only one to make both lists.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Has the "high-level thinkers" list been phased out? Because I was totally on that one.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I think I was one, too, "when I was not being a snarky asshole." Proud of both.

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

What I find particularly amusing: I grew up in a blue part of a blue state (NYC suburbs of NJ). My town was nonetheless extremely segregated* and filled with a not insignificant number of outright racists. Schools in surrounding areas didn't seem much more diverse either.

I long advocated that some students from our town should be bussed to Newark and some students from Newark should be bussed to us--not a popular opinion!!!

* Not just white/black--we were the rare Jews among the Irish and Italian.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Are we talking Milan, Indiana or Milan, Italy?

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Understood. I think that we'd probably agree more than disagree if we sat down over beers. I don't mean to take a broad tar brush to you. OTOH, it really does seem to be close to your message board persona's default position.

I'm in Alabama. I know *a lot* of people who I know are smart people, good people, whose political positions are somewhere between appalling and willfully ignorant.

And yes, the flyover thing is really stupid. People are people, and they and their mindset, interests, and opinions are going to vary no matter where they are geographically.

I've had people I came to know on message boards ask me "What is someone like you doing living somewhere like Alabama?" (and you can kind of hear the implied "ewwww" that goes along with it), which is basically the interpersonal version of "flyover country", so I really do understand how stupid that sounds.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's why she'd punch 'em out if they were too loud in a restaurant.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did she just learn what 'flyover state' means?
    She writes as if it only dawned on her as she prepared to move.
    Also, the meaning of the term is not implied at all. It is direct and specific.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm taking Milan, Indiana, in a free throw-shooting contest. Or running the picket fence.

Draft saved Draft deleted