1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Gary Has a Lake 2: Everyone in Indiana Isn't a Racist Dumbass'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Writing a terrible, paint-by-numbers column like that is inadvisable, but she's not wrong that the surest way to ignorant narrow mindedness is to never leave your hometown.

Ace and YankeeFan like this.
  4. Dick Whitman

I was flabbergasted to learn that a fucking Union state had a stop on the Underground Railroad.

Ace, Stoney and YankeeFan like this.
  5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I bet the train cars were segregated.

6. Dick Whitman

You're confusing it with the Boston stop.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I live in Indiana and love it. Great place to raise kids. The state is financially healthy. The weather, all things considered, is fine. A great state university. Affordable housing pretty much everywhere. There's a lot of good, cheap golf.

But if you're telling me you moved from San Diego to Terre Haute, I'm not going to give you a high-five. I'm going to look at you like you're nuts.

Ace, Hermes, I Should Coco and 4 others like this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

San Diego is also a little more politically diverse than this writer gives it credit for.

It's not like some of the other whackadoo California cities.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Her friends are idiots:

As I settled into life in the Midwest, I heard the same assumptive questions: “Did everyone you know vote for Donald Trump?" "Are there African-American, Jewish, Asian, LGBTQ people in Indiana?" "Do people make fun of you for listening to National Public Radio?”

10. Dick Whitman

Her friends aren't real.

StaggerLee, Big Circus and poindexter like this.
  11. YankeeFan

Yeah. You're probably right.

It's just weird to paint your fellow urban liberals -- who are supposed to be so smart -- as ignorant bubble dwellers.

12. YankeeFan

It's funny. Sally Kohn, a lesbian, progressive, talking head, who used to appear on Fox News, gave a Ted Talk where she explained to her audience that conservatives, including Sean Hannity, are nice.

Do other progressives really need to be told this?

I don't know of examples of the opposite, where conservatives tell their shocked friends about an interaction with liberals in which they discovered that liberals are actually nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted