1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Danielson defends his drum beat for Florida during the SEC title game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 6, 2006.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No, but the opinions of voters in the Coaches poll and Harris poll make up 67% of determining who plays.

Even if they're not listening to ABC/ESPN/CBS etc. they're still offering opinions on who the best team in the country is, and most likely listening to coaches who stump for their team.

Unlike ABC/ESPN/CBS, their opinions matter. They don't blast them from the rooftops day after day, but they matter more than anything anyone on TV says. Herbie and Fowler vote in the AP poll, but that doesn't matter in the long run since the AP opted out of mattering to the BCS.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I knew there was a reason I liked Gary Danielson. On point, top to bottom. Thanks for sharing this, Johnny.

3. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I agree with just about everything Danielson said with the exception of the "You want to know what it's like in the Big 12, Pac-Ten and SEC? That's what it's like, every week from September to Nov. 25." comment.

The Big 12 and Pac-10 have television deals with ABC too, and it's not like the Big Ten has a national TV game on ABC every week. ABC most weeks has regional coverage. Even the ABC primetime game comes from a variety of conferences.

There is, in fact, only one conference to have a guaranteed game on network TV nationwide every single week. That would be the SEC, thanks to CBS.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'll never forget a segmet CBS did last year where it showed Big East highlights in a way that tried to make the point that the conference was a total joke and unworthy of a BCS bid. I guess there was no agenda there.
    Just cover the fucking games and stop trying to be an opinion leader.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What are you saying? Tim Brando loooooves the Big East.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But they have national games on ESPN and ESPN2 at noon every single Saturday.

And the only reason ESPN does an SEC game in prime time is because the Big Ten won't play its games in prime time and ABC hoards all the other top games from the other conferences for its 3:30 and 8 p.m. slots.

ESPN would look pretty silly NOT doing Tennessee-Georgia at 7:45 when everything else that day was picked clean.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I hate to break up the lovefest, but that's a huge load of horseshit.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He's no Eric Hipple.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Curious to know why you feel that way...

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because his rantings at once base themselves on the rankings (when he wants to make a case for the SEC) and then completely throw them aside (saying its arbitrary that Ohio State and Michigan were 1-2).

You can believe either, but not at the same time.

Michigan and Florida have one loss each.

Michigan lost to a higher-rated team than Florida did.

Those are the facts, and no matter how much shit he throws on the wall to see what sticks, they don't change.

There are also comments that are stupid on their face. To wit:

"My argument was that anyone was more deserving than Michigan. I would have voted Oklahoma over Michigan. Oklahoma got robbed. They basically lost one game, okay? I would have voted Louisville, anyone other than Michigan, because there was only one team in college football that had the opportunity to play their way into that game against Ohio State without having to please one voter. Not one voter. Michigan had a shot. They're obviously a very good football team.

11. subhead

subhead Member

He often comes off as very arrogant in interviews, but he knows his stuff, forms an opinion and backs it up. And he is a definitely a great guy.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't know the guy from Adam, but again, that's not a solid argument.

It's self-nullifying at best, complete incoherence at worst.

Draft saved Draft deleted