1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Coleman RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 27, 2010.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Walk it off.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yes you are, Charlie Brown.

3. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I had never heard of this play, but apparently, Coleman's death isn't stopping its producers from continuing to use the character they say Coleman is based on.

http://www.pantagraph.com/entertainment/arts-and-theatre/article_c340300c-6d94-11df-837b-001cc4c002e0.html

4. printdust

printdust New Member

This appears to be a tacky question but I'm serious: With a midget like Coleman, does he still have six pallbearers? Is it funeral decorum to have six no matter or do you reduce it? I mean, I've seen a baby's funeral where the dad carried the casket so I guess there's no standard.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'll just point out that I don't believe Coleman was technically a midget. His growth was stunted/slowed by his chronic kidney condition and/or treatment for it.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I think he was only about four inches shorter than Danny DeVito.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You're right, print dust, that is a tacky question. Does the answer really matter?

And Coleman was not a midget/dwarf. He was an average person who suffered from a medical condition that impacted his growth. His short stature was not a given.

Dwarfism is an actual separate, and genetic, condition in its own right -- one that will cause shortness (along with other issues) no matter what. It's in the genes.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

At least he got a casket with his name already engraved.

[​IMG]

Yes, I know; Me, Hitler, Kennedy, and Sammy Davis will go back to playing gin rummy.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

His parents sought his funds in life...Now they want custody of his body after his death.

http://www.pantagraph.com/entertainment/television/article_57b1bbb9-59fe-5b9d-82e6-eb39df5f632c.html

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Reminds me of the great Bill Veeck line after the Eddie Gaedal incident. When the game decided to ban "midgets," Veeck asked what is the height of a midget? Is it 4 '10, 4'11? Let's make it 5'5 and throw Rizzuto out of the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted