1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gary Coleman RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 27, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Re: Gary Coleman in critical

Both stories are correct.

They ripped him off, I guess because they were on his payroll. He later successfully sued them, as well as a former business manager.....

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n20_v83/ai_13560059/

.....but within six years of winning a $1.3-million judgment, he was bankrupt.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_14_96/ai_55983426/

Although, in fairness, given that his parents were so desperate that he be the family breadwinner that they started pimping him out at age eight or whatever he was, it's fair to say financial management was never going to be one of his strengths.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Little choice? Meaning what? He was unable to continue his education, get a non-acting job or what?

When your 15 minutes are up, it's best to return to the real world and get to work.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Get better, Gary, the Padres need you.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing that's easier said than done, especially when, almost 30 years after his show is done, he's still completely recognizable to most of the population. People forget how big of a star he was. I don't know if there's been a more popular child star in most of our lifetimes.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

There is no way a person as famous/infamous as Gary Coleman would ever have been able to get a real-world job that did not turn into a gong show. His lifelong lack of stable influences, his height and his continued resemblance to the Gary Coleman of old have seen to that, as has the chip he carries around on his shoulder. Every once in a while he begs to be left alone, but it's always an ironic plea. "Hey, pay attention to me telling you to back off."

He's been in front of the camera his whole life. He knows nothing else other than that people loved him when he was a cute kid, and he's been trying to recapture that feeling ever since. He's the real-life Dickie Roberts.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You could argue that Coleman was the most famous actor on TV for about 5-7 years. I can think of tons of child actors since, but none who ever reached that level.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Emmanuel Lewis kind of had the same deal - except his parents invested his money well and he does whatever the hell he wants. He went to college and I think runs a couple of businesses.

And the news from Utah is that Coleman is on life-support with a brain hemmorhage and in a coma.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So he might be seeing Dana Plato pretty soon?

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Also he's a ninja.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I have seen someone recover from a fall off a ladder and regain a fairly normal life (even returning to work part-time), so it is possible.

Obviously, I don't know the specifics of the Coleman case, so I can't compare the two. If/when he does recover, it almost certainly will take more than a year just to show minimal improvement.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Rumors flying around now that he has died. Waiting for a confirmable link.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted