1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garth Brooks megalomaniac?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 15, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As if Wisconsinians need mood music to boff deer.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It may be true, but everyone leaves to "spend more time with family." I would take that with a grain of salt.

3. dooley_womack1

My reason would be, "because my back catalog and royalties will keep me and my next 10 generations rolling in dough. I'll kick back and pay the bills with Trisha Yearwood's concert money."

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm more familiar with the dooley_womack1 back catalog than the Garth Brooks back catalog. If everyone were me, you could retire from this board a millionaire.

5. dooley_womack1

I still haven't had my "Chris Gaines" phase with an alternate handle yet.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm thinking there's a lot of you who weren't around or don't remember the late 70s/early 80s, because Kenny Rogers was as popular, or more so, than Garth Brooks.

Country has had plenty of crossover successes long before the late 70s -- Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard and Glen Campbell were all big in the late 60s, but the Urban Cowboy/original Outlaws phase of crossover peaked in 1980-81.

But it was perceived as a fad, and by 1983 or so, when MTV really began to take hold, country slipped out of crossover territory and slumped outside of its usual (and still sizable) core group of fans.

Garth Brooks was part of a second wave in the 90s. I suppose the difference between the second wave and the Urban Cowboy days is that the second wave had a lot more to do with pop disguised as country as traditional country. A trend that pervades to the present.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No way was Rogers as popular as Brooks, and I'm your age, so I remember both. Rogers was very popular, but he was not the international superstar that Brooks was.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That right there makes him a pretty despicable person.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Disagree. Hard in some ways to compare eras, but in the three-network days, Rogers had several TV specials, he was green-lighted to star in his own movie -- the cinema-changing opus Six Pack -- and was savvy enough to use his crossover to work with other in-demand artists like Lionel Richie.

Garth Brooks did nothing equivalent -- even taking into account the different media era of his peak years.

Not going to look it up, but I'd be curious to know who charted top 40 more.

10. I'm 40.
    I own more than one Kenny Rogers album, including a First Edition album.
    Kenny Rogers was big.
    Garth was bigger.
    I think Rogers tried to make crossover music (working with Kim Carnes, the Bee Gees and Lionel Ritchie) and that made his country stuff more popular.
    Brooks made country music more mainstream. But it was still considered country music.

Kenny Rogers made Six Pack.
    Garth hosted SNL.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Saw a picture of Rogers the other day. He looks like he's been wandering around the prison grounds where Rick and the gang live.

Draft saved Draft deleted