1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garth Brooks megalomaniac?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 15, 2013.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Who are Dolly and Willie?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Never heard of em.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Dolly Parton? Willie Nelson?

4. None of those guys could touch Garth Brooks with a 10-foot pole in terms of popularity or hits.
    * And don't forget John Denver who won some CMA awards in the mid-1970s to the open disdain of established country music stars.

Hee Haw was a long-running show on network TV, but it hardly equaled mainstreaming country music to America.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Wasn't my point.

Garth can't be credited as the guy who brought country to the mainstream.

He benefited from a crossover already well underway.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Are we sure Hank done it this way?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Wikipedia says Willie Nelson was the top-grossing concert performer of 1979.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think Garth mainstreamed country as much as he started the rock and roll-ization of country music concerts. He put on a hell of a show at a time when most country singers just stood behind a mic and sang (Hi George Strait).

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think, more than anything, Brooks convinced people on both coasts that the country music market wasn't just a fringe one, and I think they were widely perceived that way in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I think Brooks was also a huge beneficiary of when they changed the way they determined what were the top selling records were.

When Brooks was beating new albums by Guns N Roses, Metallica and U2, I think people started looking at country music a little more differently.

Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson were country stars who would have their music played on top 40 and more mainstream stations. I'm sure there were a couple others, but Brooks' success I think woke up a lot of people about how powerful the country music market was.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Finally saw Garth a few years ago at the Sprint Center. (I had been waiting for a decade...I tried to convince my parents to take me when I was around 11 and my dad said I "was too young and would have plenty of chances to see him live later." And then he retired less than a year later.) He still puts on a hell of a show. This lawsuit was a surprise to me because at that show, he seemed really overcome by the fact that he sold out 9 shows and that people still remembered the music. Because everyone sang along to every single song.

The reason he retired back when was so he could spend more time with his girls.

A lot of that original lawsuit read like it was coming from The Onion.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I could see Brooks being disappointed in those roles if he had more of a George Strait in Pure Country kind of thing in mind. That kind of transition into movies worked well for Tim McGraw, but that was years later and I'm not sure it makes Garth Brooks a megalomaniac if in the mid-90s he thought "hey, if George can star in a movie I should be able to too."

In an unrelated note, Brooks and Bill Self were friends at OSU.

12. I think it's like arguing Columbus discovered America.
    No, it is was Vespucci. No, it was the Vikings. No, the Indians were already there.
    Yeah, well Columbus is the fellow who got his name out there.
    I think this is true with Garth Brooks.
    Mizzou summed it up well.

Draft saved Draft deleted