1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garth Brooks megalomaniac?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 15, 2013.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This case Ain't Goin' Down...'Til the Sun Comes Up.

If Tomorrow Never Comes, it's going to be a Rodeo, but eventually, We Shall Be Free.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The thunder rolls...into the courtroom.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He came up three credits short because he skipped summer school to go fuck some lonely, sun-dried widow on a farm.

4. dooley_womack1

In the same vein, Brad Pitt fell three credits short of an advertising degree at Missouri. Goes to show you that you need that sheepskin.

5. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

Are the lawyers members of the American Honky-tonk Bar Association?

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I remember hearing some crazy stat about his record sales, but he falls into the Dixie Chicks category in that I can't name a single song by him because I avoid country music. Hell, with the Dixie Chicks, I immediately recognized "Wide Open Spaces" when I looked up their songs. I'm looking at Brooks' biggest hits and not recognizing any. I can't imagine anyone not being able to name a single Tom Hanks movie.

7. dooley_womack1

If you've never heard of Friends in Low Places, I don't know what to tell you. I think you were real young when the several years of Garthmania were going on, but yes, he was as big as Tom Hanks. I didn't say now. Then. Then is relevant to why Brooks would not have necessarily swooned at movie opportunities. Not saying it was ultimately wise, but just saying

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm listening to it now. I don't think I've ever heard this song. It doesn't even have a familiar ring. I was very young in 1990, though, you're right. In 1998, not so much. I was old enough to have seen Philadelphia and Forrest Gump and Big and (obviously) Toy Story and be able to name most of the biggest pop stars at the time. I probably knew who Garth Brooks was. But it never would have occurred to me that he was bigger than Hanks.

I don't doubt your perspective is more relevant. It just blows my mind. There are at least five actors now whom I would say are more well-known than any singer in any genre: Hanks, Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio. Cases could be made for George Clooney, Jack Nicholson, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon, too.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If you have made it this far without having to hear horrible karaoke versions of "Friends in Low Places" (let alone "Achy Breaky Heart"), you are a lucky man, Versatile.

Or at the very least, you weren't going out drinking in Podunk in the 1990s.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Two Pina Coladas is a fun song.

I fucking hated Garth Brooks when he broke through with Friends in Low Places. Fucking hated his goat-roping bullshit songs. Hated. Hey. Ted.

But I'm 20 years removed from those days, and today too much of the modern rock all sounds like angry screaming (get off my fucking lawn, hippies) — and Garth has kind of grown on me. Shit, I'm getting old.

Garth's brother is — or at least was — the principal at the K-12 school in Newburg, Mo. Yep.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've heard more than enough "Achy Breaky Heart" for the rest of my life. But it would have been illegal for me to go out drinking anywhere in the 1990s.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Really? Not a single one? The Dance was one of the biggest songs of the 90s. He was the biggest selling solo artist of any genre of the 90s and for a while was thought to be the biggest selling solo artist of all time until they retabulated Elvis' record sales. According to the Wikipedias the RIAA says Elvis has sold 134.5 million records and Garth 128 million as of June 2012.

Not surprised he's a bit of a megalomaniac. The Lamb and his Chris Gaines split-personality are proof enough of that, but "one of the lowest human beings on the planet"? Sanderson should lose the lawsuit on that assertation alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted