1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garry Howard out at Sporting News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by formere, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. formere

formere New Member

That's the word, at least. Seems to have confirmed it on Twitter profile as well.

https://twitter.com/SN_GarryD

Not sure if there will be a new hire or what...

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How long has his profile looked like that? I thought titles changed a while ago and Garry was still there in a new capacity? Is that still the case or has he indeed left the building?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for all the PMs - told by someone who would know this is indeed current, he's no longer at TSN

4. formere

formere New Member

Not to my knowledge, Moddy. Things have certainly changed over there, but his handle has always been the same. Now if that wasn't the case at the office, not sure. Either way, he's gone. Never a good time to do things like that, but 24 days before Christmas is a stomach punch for sure.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Kind of was expected, given the climate at what's happening at TSN. G. Howard will resurface somewhere.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://mije.org/richardprince/garry-d-howard-out-editor-sporting-news

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

He'll resurface at ESPN or Fox Sports. (Not saying that's a good thing, just saying ............)

8. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

ESPN.

Look for David Squires, who Garry hired at Sporting News, to follow him there if the moons all align. Squires, a desker, was also let go in the recent restructuring.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Except that Squires just joined the McClatchy Publishing Center in Charlotte.

10. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

He'll leave in a snap to follow Howard to ESPN.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know where you get this from but I don't believe that will be happening. David has some other ventures away from this business that he could decide to spend more time with. As for G., anything can happen. Like him or not, he is a talent and he has plenty of people who like what he does. And he also has many who don't like what he does.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Not sure about him being "a talent." Maybe "a character."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.