1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garry Howard leaving MJS for TSN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by old_tony, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Great trade. Who'd we get?"

--Lenny Dykstra, when the Phillies dealt Von Hayes

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

... she said smiling.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't smile for the TSN folks. I know people there. I ache for them right now.

I smile for the two people I know still remaining at the MJS.

So...take that how you will.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Sounds from the memo like Kaiser had quite the man-crush, as well as way too much emotionally invested ("my first hire") in a guy who was fireable several times over for reasons beyond his mismanagement.

Milwaukee staffers: Please try not to be seen smiling until after late December.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Echo all the comments about Milwaukee. GREAT sports section, quite solid. Now we'll see how much better it can get.

6. dcdream

dcdream Member

I read this board a lot a never seen so much hateration on one sports editor. No sports editor is perfect. But to see this sports editor get blasted by this board is really unprofessional. I have been in this business for 17 years and have seen worse sports editors, with more issues than Garry, but you never see ANY hatred on them. Instead of hate, there is more appreciation for sports editors who carry themselves in an unprofessional and un-sports editor like manner. There are sports editors I know who are drunks, golf all the time and don't hire diverse staffs, yet they get universally praised.
    Good luck to Garry.

I've never seen any SE bashed on here as much.

Not even Lynn Hoppes, and a fair share of folks dislike him.

I've read all the threads about Garry before and know the score, but still, even then he takes a beating.
    [/quote]

7. imjustagirl

You lose points for using the "word" hateration.

And plenty of good journalists are drunks. Not many of them high-five athletes while on press row.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hateration? Seriously?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the state of drinking the haterade.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The guys in Wausau and Fort Collins seem to be regular subjects, too.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

[/quote]
    Congratulations Garry and good luck at TSN.
    As for the bashing, let's get real about it for a moment. And hopefully, the discussion won't get too ugly. There are those on here who bashed Howard because of his skills. There are those who bash him because he's one of the few non-white males in charge of a sports department in a major city. Then there are those who don't have a quarter of the experience that Garry has in this business.
    It's not easy being the boss. You make mistakes. You make enemies. Howard is no different.
    However, the guy is more than qualified for his new job. Instead of bashing him, how about showing some class and wishing him well. I know it's a difficult concept for a few "anonymous experts" here, but it would be nice to read.

12. imjustagirl

Drip,

1. I would never bash Howard for his skills, because there's no proof he has any.
    2. Your charges of racism are laughable, at best.
    3. Experience? Experience doing what?

Wouldn't being a phony and wishing him well be worse than being honest about who/what he is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.