1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garrett will be hired by Dallas, but as what?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Ed Werder says

According to knowledgeable sources, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has decided to hire Jason Garrett at least to be Dallas' offensive coordinator -- and possibly to be the successor to retired head coach Bill Parcells.

A source told ESPN's Ed Werder on Wednesday night that Jones considers Garrett -- a former backup to quarterback Troy Aikman -- to be one of the most promising offensive coaches in the league and was so determined to bring him back to the Cowboys organization that he would have been added to Parcells' staff had Parcells decided to coach the final year of his contract.

Instead, Parcells stepped down Monday after four seasons with the Cowboys, ending a 19-year coaching tenure that included two Super Bowl champoinships with the New York Giants.

Jones must decide by Thursday whether to hire Garrett as offensive coordinator because the Miami Dolphins set a deadline for the Cowboys to hire their quarterbacks coach when granting the Cowboys permission to interview Garrett.

The Cowboys could appoint Garrett offensive coordinator to secure his services while eliminating the Dolphins from the equation. Then Jones could deliberate whether to appoint him as the head coach later after interviews with other head-coaching candidates, primarily San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips or San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

Ultimately, Jones must decide whether he's willing to sign a veteran coach to a three- or four-year contract to allow Garrett to gain experience as a play-caller before eventually promoting him to the top job. Or, Jones may decide he's willing to endure the risk of immediately putting a talented Cowboys team in Garrett's hands now.

Garrett spent the last two seasons coaching Miami's quarterbacks. He played for the Cowboys from 1993-99, appearing in 23 games (nine starts). He also played for the Giants, Tampa Bay and Miami. Garrett retired in 2004.

Garrett's father, Jim, was a longtime scout for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys haven't had an offensive coordinator since Maruice Carthon served in that role under Parcells in 2004. This season, assistant head coach Tony Sparano coached running backs and the offensive line and receivers coach Todd Haley was the passing game coordinator.

Jones earlier this week spoke to Sparano, Haley and secondary coach Todd Bowles, a candidate to replace Mike Zimmer as defensive coordinator, about the head coaching job.

Phillips, who was in Mobile scouting Senior Bowl practices, said he hadn't heard from anybody yet, including the Cowboys.

"If it's true, we'll just go on with the process and see what happens," Phillips told The Associated Press by telephone. "I've got a great job where I am and a great football team. I wasn't looking for anything, but I've always wanted to do what I can do as a head coach, and Dallas is certainly a premier job."

The Cowboys have declared that finding the coaches who can develop young Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo is a point of emphasis in replacing Parcells.

Information from ESPN's Ed Werder and The Associated Press was used in this report.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Turner as head coach and Garrett as OC seems to be the best situation for Dallas fans. Garrett is an up-and-comer but I think he needs another couple years of seasoning. And Jerry loves Turner.

Get that Wade Phillips mess outta here.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Is "Jerry Jones' bitch" the correct answer?

4. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Norv as coach is the best situation? He's done nothing to earn a third crack as HC. I'd rather gamble on an assistant who's never done it before, like mangini, payton before they were elevated.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If the Cowboys are going to make Garrett the OC and head coach in waiting, I would prefer that they hire a defensive guy to be the HC. If they hire Turner, Norv will call the plays and it will stunt Garrett's development. If they just want a short-term guy to give Garrett and Todd Bowles (the likely DC to be) some seasoning, I would prefer Dan Reeves. He's experienced, he's been successful at his previous stops and would be a good calming hand for the franchise.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Pope, that Al Davis picture is hilarious.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

The past two years as the Dolphins' QB coach isn't the most glowing recommendation.

Didn't exactly turn water into wine.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Dude, he turned Joey Harrington into a somewhat successful QB. That's gotta be good for something.

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

It's nice to see the Crypt Keeper is still doing well after the show went off HBO.

10. StockCar Review

StockCar Review New Member

If Jerry Jones is smart he will not hire Norv. Norv has proved he is not a good head coach but he is a good offensive cord.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Were you referring to your pic of Serena Williams?

Draft saved Draft deleted