1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garrett to Ravens: Drop Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'll just say it right now: Jason Garrett was not a good offensive coordinator for the last half of the season - when it counts - and I think Baltimore narrowly escaped a big mistake. Garrett's in love with the quarterback position and it showed. Dallas routinely put itself in third-and-middle-to-long situations, and Romo finally couldn't bail them out.

Secondly - Ozzie Newsome is only half of a good GM. He has compiled awful offensive talent.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Hey, I've got to be good at something, right?

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Mistake for Garrett.

He had a chance to do something the Browns' reboot hasn't had for all but one of its mostly dullish history (Vinny's team in '96): elevate a Cro-Magnon offensive philosophy.

Agree with zag-off and have made a mental note of it.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Think on this for a minute.

It's been more than a quarter-century -- back to the Yore of Brian Sipe -- since the Browns/Ravens had what anyone in his right mind might term an "exposive" offense. You can't ever say that of MartyBall and you certainly cain't of the great genius Billick's Lascaux cave-drawing schemes.

Maybe there is some recessive gene or something.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I will not sit here and listen to you bad-mouth "Metcalf up the middle"

6. chester

chester Member

I wouldn't say the late-1980s offenses of Kosar, Byner, Slaughter, Langhorne, Newsome, etc. was exactly three yards and a cloud of dust. Those teams could score points.

7. Herbert Anchovy

chet,

There's a reason Darth Belichick cleaned house when he came to Cleveland in 1991. So much decay, and rapidly, too.

The offensive line grew to be as decrepit as the stadium. Langhorne and Byner were finished. The Browns had one of the better lines of anyone in the mid-'80s. And when it went to shit, it made Kosar even more ordinary than he already was.

8. chester

chester Member

Oh, I don't necessarily disagree with you there. I was just saying there were decent offenses in Cleveland after Sipe and before Belidick. There certainly wasn't with the latter, although I always thought of Leroy Hoard as an underrated running back for a couple of years.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think it was a move of necessity by Jones to lock up Garrett.

Sparano and Ireland are already gone, and they will probably be joined by Bowles and Pasqualoni soon. Garrett would've been likely to take two or three additional assistants with him. So Jones paid Garrett so his coaching staff wouldn't be completely gutted.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't understand how this guy became such a fair-haired boy. It's not like he worked wonders in Miami and the Dallas offense didn't look very coordinated to me last week. Am I missing something?

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Lets not forget it wasn't too long ago when we were singing the praises of Gregg Williams as the next big thing. How is that working out in DC?

Draft saved Draft deleted