1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garrett to Ravens: Drop Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jan 17, 2008.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

By Jamison Hensley | Sun reporter
    11:23 AM EST, January 17, 2008

Jason Garrett has decided to remain the Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator and not become the Ravens' head coach.

"We did negotiate with Jason Garrett to become our head coach," the Ravens said in statement. "In the end, he decided to stay in Dallas. We're continuing our second round of interviews. We're excited with the candidates, and we're confident we will select the best head coach for the Ravens."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravens117,0,7763200.story

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Drop dead? Hmmm...don't know about that.

What gets me is there are a couple of radio wonks here in the Houston area who express puzzlement over this.

What's so hard to understand, folks? Staying at Dallas likely means Garrett will take over the Cowboys at some point, a much better prospect than having to coach Atlanta or Baltimore.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I read that the Cowboys are now paying him more than they are paying Wade Phillips. Which means Wade Phillips will get a raise.

But why wouldn't you take more money for lesser responsibilities? Everyone still thinks you're a genius, you can build that rep up for a couple more years, then if the Pokes ever decide to make him head coach he's all set and gets a raise, or if someone else wants him they have to throw even MORE money at him.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Garret staying in Dallas also means Wade Phillips should update his resume and get ready to send it out after the first game the Cowboys lose next year.....

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Jason Garrett is ... Franklin Delano Romanowski?

Dallas is so much better than Baltimore now, and it will likely stay that way for the next few years no matter who's at the helm. If offered to me, I'd probably take the Ravens job, but I can understand why Garrett turned it down.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Smart move on his part.
    He can be the second coming of Spurrier (well, the college version, anyway) and he still would have had squat to work with either in Atlanta or Baltimore. Methinks a meeting with Troy Smith (or Joey Harrington) alone would have made him remember how good Dallas is.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I don't know if Baltimore would be that much worse. Ozzie Newsome (from what I can tell) is a damn good GM, Willis McGahee is an above average runner and defense is still one of the best.

The problem they have is the same problem they've had for years: QB and playmakers at receiver. Seems like Garrett could help with that.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Saved for posterity.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Solid, as always.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Garrett's exact words were...

"HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO SUCK MY BALLS BALTIMORE!"

Or it may have been, "Thanks, but Jerry Jones is going to pay me twice as much to do half the work..."

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

my take: what makes garrett the next big thing? he wasn't with the cowboys in '06, when romo burst on the scene. he became their o.c. when they were set to take off this season.

he was only going to be exposed in atlanta or baltimore, running offense light years from being ready to fly. the next cam cameron.

he stays in dallas as the richest assistant and continues to look like a young stud, then takes over when wade's "aw, shucks" approach wears out on jerry jones -- which will be soon.

a guy as young as garrett can afford to wait and build his rep some more with a strong offense. he ain't no dummy.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Waiting a year didn't hurt Sean Payton...

Draft saved Draft deleted