1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garrard to be Jags starting QB; Leftwich to be released or traded

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In other words, Starman, The Genius of Matt Millen continues. Stinks for Lions fans ...

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't think this is Millen, I think this comes directly from the aural orifice of the nuclear-physics astrogenius Mike Martz, who runs the super-ultra-turbocharged offense (which finished 22nd in the NFL in scoring last season).

Although Millen hired Martz, so whatever goofy decisions Martz makes ultimately come to rest on Millen's ass.

FWIW, I'm not sure that I think Leftwich would be a massive upgrade over Kitna (although my gut feeling is he would be somewhat better) -- the really infuriating thing (well at this point it's not really infuriating, it's utterly predictable) is that the whole idea of possibly improving the QB position is immediately slapped down like an annoying mosquito about to settle on Martz's dainty coif.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Star,

Of course the QB situation is set. In case Kitna goes down, they have NFL Europa Offensive MVP JT O'Sullivan and his mastery of the vaunted Mike Martz offense.

[God, it's going to be fun ripping the Lions with you this year. On second thought, it'll get old after game two and I'll lose interest]

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Martz's arrogance strikes again. For a man who loves to throw the ball all over creation, to stick with Kitna and not give Leftwich time of day is indicative of why Detroit continues to be a laughingstock.

BTW, you think Millen or the Ford family would consider promoting Martz and booting Marinelli after this season?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I got a sneaking suspicion that's probably exactly what may happen. If the team goes in the tank, which every indication at this point says it will, Millen will be once again looking for a scapegoat to toss over the side, and Marinelli, who so far has looked completely like a deer in the headlights, will be the handiest target. (Of course Millen says he loves Marinelli, he's the kind of rough-tough football guy he likes, but he said he loved Mornhinweg and Mariucci too, and tossed them overboard in a snap when he needed a handy scapegoat, and the heat on him was reaching blowtorch levels.)

If you read the preseason stories on the Lions, Martz is already quoted easily 3 times as often, and at greater length, than Marinelli. Every story about the team is like this: Martz likes this, Martz doesn't like that, Martz is happy with this, Martz wants to see more improvement in that, Martz this, Martz that, yadda yadda, oh by the way Marinelli said something too, etc etc.

(The fact that Marinelli allows this situation is another indication of his cluelessness. Of course Marinelli is a taciturn guy who doesn't talk much and Martz is a motormouth who won't shut up [on or off the record], but the impression is really mushrooming that Martz is in fact running the team, and that can't have totally escaped the notice of the players. Which of course fits completely with Martz' previous modus operandi.)

To the totally untrained eye (i.e. the Fords), if you break the team down into Marinelli running the defense and Martz running the offense, Martz probably looks superficially "more successful" on the basis of the monstrous passing yards run up by Kitna last season, so my bet is that Millen will probably try to sell the Fords on the idea of handing the whole thing over to Martz if they really take the tank this year.

As I went off on another rant a week or so ago, the passing stats are nothing but cotton-candy and hot air. Kitna threw for 4,000 yards, and three wins. Big whoop.

And at some point, even the Fords have to cry uncle, and fire Millen. How many ex-coaches can they carry on their payroll? :eek: :eek:

EDIT: Let me also say at this point I haven't heard anybody official from the Lions absolutely shoot down the idea of Leftwich, but one of the radio "insiders" seemed to act like it had been discussed and pretty much dismissed out of hand. And the Lions have been known to do wild and whacky stuff; say one thing one day, then do the complete opposite 36 hours later.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

You know who's starting a really mediocre QB and could use a steadying hand like Leftwich?
    Jacksonville.

Minnesota is also one injury away from the Brooks Bollinger era. They might want to give him a look.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Seems like the logical landing spot for Leftwich is Atlanta. Talk about ending experiments ... the Harrington experiment needs. to. end. now.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I may be the only person in America who thinks it, but I think Harrington as Atlanta QB could actually work. At least a little.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Haven't seen anything to point to it working. If he proves me wrong, cheers, but I don't see it happening.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Ah, yes. MadMikeMartz...
    [​IMG]

11. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Except Bill Musgrave is the QB coach in Atlanta. He and Leftwich had a very tumultuous relationship when Musgrave was the OC in Jacksonville.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Did not know that. So much for Byron doing the dirty bird.

Draft saved Draft deleted