1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garrard released by Jags

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cubbiebum, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Jack Del Rio would like to personally apologize to anyone who drafted David Garrard as a backup quarterback this Fantasy season.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Norfolk be a non-starter because of the Redskins? Its only a few hours away and could be in the sphere of influence? Dunno for sure, just speculating.

Is there enough of a fan/population base to support a team in San Antonio?

Would the league consider a second team in Chicago? Works in NY. (Don't think it will really happen).

I think the best option would be Toronto, which I think is testing the water with the Bills "home games."

And Garrard would be ok, but he ain't bringing home any championships.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If the Skins couldn't block the Ravens, they won't be able to block Norfolk. They'd try, because Hampton Roads is Redskins country, but it wouldn't go far.

San Antonio is 1.3 million in the city and 2.15 in the metro. They're also closer to Austin (less than two hours) than Houston or Dallas. Having two teams within a day's drive might be a problem, but the three cities seem to manage with their basketball teams.

Never say never, but I'd be surprised if they double up in Chicago or anywhere else.

Toronto I'm assuming will eventually get the Bills.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Johnny Unitas wouldn't be bringing home any championships with the 2011 Jaguars.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Obviously football is a completely different beast than basketball but who saw OKC has a viable pro basketball city seven years ago? I'm sure there are cities out there that would work well with a football team. Find a football crazy city with a decent population but preferably no major college football team in town.

I don't know the city practically at all but geographically and population wise what about Albuquerque or better yet Tulsa. Both have big enough population's, no team close by and in Tulsa's case it is in a football crazy state.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ok City has been blessed with an above-average, exciting team.

Put a serving of garbage in there, and see what you get.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Times-Union front page today had a centerpiece photo of Garrard at that luncheon, walking on a runway and smiling broadly. As the caption said, he was whacked a few hours later. Ouch.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jacksonville fans should be on the lookout for Mayflower trucks.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And this is what makes this move so idiotic.

This probably will be the worst division in football if Manning does not play, so why not keep this guy around to try and make the playoffs.? A sack of practice footballs might win this division if Schaub goes down.

Shit, he beat Pittsburgh, in Pittsburgh, in the playoffs. You know, a team with two rings in three trips in recent years?

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

93,that is the problem with Garrard. The Jaguars compensated him based on that season and since then he has not improved. He is a guy who dumps the ball off to protect his QB rating, has a history of blaming the WR's and OL and has never been a leader. It's telling when the QB isn't voted by as teammates as a captain. He has played and practiced like shit and even though it appears the division is up for grabs, it wasn't with the way Garrard has played this summer.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I will note that one man's "dumps the ball off" is another man's "finds the open receiver consistently." It's all a matter of perspective. And if the Jags expect McCown to "improve", they really are delusional.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You're right about everything except he doesn't have a history of blaming others. He's usually been pretty good about taking the fall himself. It's just that he's been saying for years he needs to get better and he never did. He did say, "I have no one to blame but myself."

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2011-09-07/story/david-garrard-i-have-no-one-blame-myself

Draft saved Draft deleted