1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garrard released by Jags

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cubbiebum, Sep 6, 2011.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

This is kinda sad. Dave's a really nice guy.

Of course you know what they say about nice guys

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

OK, I've got my popcorn ready. You guys can continue with this pissing match. Have you guys got the ruler out and measured yet?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The one point often forgotten is that perhaps there simply are no other "NFL markets" left. Once you start looking beyond 32 cities, what's really out there (other than the elephant in the room that already lost two franchises)? What slam dunk is sitting out there, ready to fill a stadium regardless of the product, that the NFL is kicking itself for ignoring?

Some city has to be the "worst" of the bunch.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Vegas always comes up, but that's a non-starter due to the books. Of the five cities in the running for an expansion franchise in the 90s, only Memphis doesn't have a team now, and that's not going to happen with the Titans in the same state. Birmingham is reserved as a required city for every second-tier pro football league. The Norfolk area can't even get it together to build a modern indoor arena, much less a 60,000-seat football stadium.

Other than San Antonio and maybe Portland (and that town that shall not be named), the only place for the NFL to go is outside the country.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Harbaugh coached Johnson at USD. I'm sure he'd love to coach him again, but I doubt they'd give up much more than a very late pick to get him.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The fans in Jacksonville will see this as a positive. Garrard will never be anything more than a spot starter the rest of his career. Anyone who thinks this is a step down and not a positive hasn't watched Garrard recently. Garrard locks on to his targets, dumps the ball off to protect his QB rating and has no understanding about audibles. Garrard is just a guy who the Jaguar organization blew it on with a huge contract.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He played for the Saints and his wife is from Louisiana. Something to that I'm sure.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Save your popcorn for Saturday afternoon. The miserable, silly little twit is on ignore for the rest of my natural life.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You're quite right. It's just that the Jaguars blew this from a process standpoint. Their last preseason game was one week ago today. They had all weekend to do this and give McCown and Gabbert more time to prepare.

Then there's this: http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/401269/vito-stellino/2011-09-07/jaguars-need-class-decision-making

They let Garrard go to the team's preseason luncheon, in front of about 500 fans, and be introduced as the team's starting quarterback. After lunch, they whacked him. Gene Smith has a lot of newspaper publisher in him.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I thought I was the only one at SJ. Nice to know I am not alone.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As noted before, I don't think Garrard is anything but an average NFL QB. But his stats and won-loss record indicate he's a respectable option as a starting QB. He has been replaced by a guy who the world knows can't succeed at the job, and won't, less than a week before the start of the season. There is no other explanation that makes sense except that it was a straight salary dump by a team that's decided to keep "rebuilding" as the operative excuse for another season.
    As a more-than-occasional visitor to Jacksonville, it is my observation that the fan's real complaint with Garrard seems to be that the Jags decided to keep him rather than pursue Drew Brees in free agency. That Brees was beyond unlikely to go with the Jags instead of the Saints or Dolphins appears to escape them.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Is Garrard a Hall of Famer?

Draft saved Draft deleted