1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garrard released by Jags

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cubbiebum, Sep 6, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

They were so bad they didn't have to try. Margins of defeat: 17, 17, 30, 34, 15, 18, 19, 16, 23. Their closest loss was in the playoffs (11 to the Bears). The worst playoff team ever in any sport.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

That's what I thought when I first saw this on ESPN. They might not have wanted to risk him signing with a team in the division.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I could see this. David Garrard is a big upgrade over Josh Johnson, and certainly he could help Josh Freeman.

If the Panthers didn't have enough faith in Derek Anderson - yeah, yeah ... insert your own joke here - he might be a good fit in Charlotte. But it's obvious Carolina is pushing all its chips to the middle and playing Cam Newton now.

Interesting the manner in which David Garrard won and lost the starting job in Jacksonville were similar. Somewhere, Byron Leftwich isn't the first bit surprised.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Will the money saved help cover moving costs when they head to LA?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nine million dollars tends to help cover a lot of moving expenses.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

If Tampa gets Garrard I wonder if the 49ers will get Josh Johnson. They supposedly were interested in him since he was a QB for Harbaugh in San Diego but Tampa thought he had value as a backup.

Another option could be Miami.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I lumped Carolina in with Cincy--teams that won't try to tank for the no. 1 pick since they already have their "franchise QB" (I put that in quotes b/c I think Newton and Dalton are going to suck) and might get there on merit. Denver will probably just be bad, instead of historically so, but if they were 1-11 in early December I could see Elway wanting to finish dead last just to get Luck.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The problem with assuming Seattle and San Francisco are going to be in the race for Luck is that they're in the same division. They have to play each other twice, plus, they each have four games against two other teams which remind no one of the 1966 Packers. They could stink and still win 4-5 games. My money's on the Bengals in this anti-shootout. And then America would totally pull for Luck if he staged an Eli Manning or Elway-like draft refusal.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

As a Jaguars fan, this upset me this afternoon. If Del Rio actually starts Luke McCown even one game this year, he's already giving up.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I bet the Jets go after him.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

How much do Mayflower vans cost?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Seattle and San Francisco meet in week 16 on Christmas Eve. If they both still have a shot at No. 1 this could be the most entertaining game of the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted