1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garrard released by Jags

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cubbiebum, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We'll see... Sunday's game could be a big indication.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've watched Smith for what 7 years now? The only good pass Smith seems to throw is the seam route to Davis. He just does not lead guys where a 7 yd. slant becomes a 25 yder or a 10 yd out can become a 50 yder.

Its truly sad that he is likely the only guy in the past 7 yrs who has NOT THROWN FOR 300 Yds in a game, EVER!! Really pathetic. Yes there's bad playcalling (calling Jimmy Raye and Singletary) but stunning. I mean even Derek Anderson's had a few moments. Bruce Gradkowski even.

Smith's a nice guy and I'm rooting for him.

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=301010025

4. Mizzougrad96

In one of the few times I was right, I wanted the Niners to draft Rodgers. Part of that was the Cal fanboy in me, but I really thought he would be much, much better than Smith.

But Smith hired the good agent and Rodgers hired the one Tedford told him to and while everything Smith did was carefully orchestrated, while Rodgers flew around the country and let every team that wanted to poke and prod and overanalyze him.

All that said, I don't know that Rodgers would have become the player he is today if he had gone to San Fran and had to start immediately. I think he would have done better than Smith, but I doubt he would be as good as he is now.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. He's actually surpassed it twice (barely). My analysis remains though.

As for the Smith v. Rodgers debate; the fanboi in me did want Rodgers because he was local and because he was spectacular when they beat USC and always showed good accuracy. Problem was Utah went undefeated and Smith looked great.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I don't get caught up it the Smith/Rodgers thing for this reason. It doesn't matter who it is, they won't succeed having 7 OC's in 7 years to start a career. Just can't happen. You never get to know the playbook so well you can audible with ease. That goes for everyone on offense. The QB may want to audible but the WR's or lineman aren't sure. It really takes at least two years to hit the rhythm that most top teams have.

And it's not all the 49ers fault either. First one was McCarthy. He got hired away by the Packers. Second was Norv and he got hired away by San Diego. Smith took a huge step forward in his year with Norv too. After that bad OC's and two in your face style defensive head coaches were hired and Smith doesn't respond well to being screamed at.

Part of the blame goes to bad luck (OC's being hired away), part of the blame goes to the 49ers (bad hirings) and part of the blame goes to Smith. The amount each one gets is up for debate but all should get some.

7. Mizzougrad96

I think that's part of the reason why Harbaugh kept Smith. If Smith succeeds, it shows that he could succeed where so many others failed and he looks like a genius. I agree that no QB could have succeeded with seven different OCs, especially some of the guys who coached under Singletary, since almost nobody wanted to. Hell, there were guys who turned down that job that would up coaching in the UFL.

If Smith fails, then he just took some hits that Kaepernick would have gotten if he had been asked to play too soon... And if he fails, the Niners will have a better shot at drafting or trading up to draft Luck or Barkley.

Draft saved Draft deleted