1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garnett to Melo (allegedly): "Your wife tastes like Honey Nut Cheerios."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jan 8, 2013.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"The boys in camp used to talk about his sister. Her name was Gladys. Use it!"

2. Pete Vucovich's character was in Major League. Don't ever get those two movies confused.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Especially because Major League is worlds better than Bull Durham.

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why some of that trash talk actually works, since everybody knows why it's being said. I think the exceptions would be the Mother's Day and cancer comments, but, seriously, how does the, "I screwed your wife/girlfriend" talk actually rile anyone up in 2013. I don't get it, frankly.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Without question.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I think he also consulted on how to trash-talk John Starks.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1993/Malik-and-the-Missing-Playbook-A-True-Story/id-53208a3fd1a5dc85a75b7741bc67e4dd

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Carmelo and LaLa are actually estranged, which might be one reason Garnett's quip got him so riled up (although mostly I think it's because Carmelo is still a hothead who can be thrown off his game).

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/cereal-offender-knicks-star-spats-celtic-cheerios-comment-estranged-wife-article-1.1236078

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think in this case it works because Lala is a known personality in her own right, there have been a lot of rumors about her, and therefore this actually has a chance of being true.

The follow-up question for me is what NBA player and wife honestly still sees themselves as a monogamous couple. I figured they all realize they're all screwing around.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I think Kevin Garnett giving you the mental image of him being in flagrante delicto with anyone you know would be terribly upsetting, no matter the status of the relationship.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Because of the chance of alien babies?

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not to excuse it, but it wasn't "shortly after" Tim Duncan's mother died. She died when he was 14, about nine years before KG said "Happy Mother's Day, motherfucker."

Draft saved Draft deleted