1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garnett to Celtics talks back on

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Double yep. I don't see how anyone can look at the situation the Celtics were in and the situation they are in now and not come away with that conclusion. Why wait and see if maybe you can put together a good team in a few years, when you have a chance to put together a contender right now? The point is to win the championship, not to be a solid team.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I really wish Wilbon wasn't on vacation this week because I'd love to see what he'd have to say about black athletes not wanting to come to Boston. I like Wilbon, and I actually think he'd have the guts to address the issue, but I can't imagine what'd he say about this. He said he never heard from Garnett that the city's reputation had anything to do with him not going there, which to me was somewhat irresponsible speculation. Garnett even said in the introductory press conference that he spoke to guys like Antoine Walker and Gary Payton and they gave the city good reviews. Just would be interesting to hear what Wilbon would have to say about this.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

This might have been addressed elsewhere in the thread, but the Celtics also had to become relevant in that town, where it's all Red Sox and Patriots. They've already killed off a generation of potential Celtics fans by sucking as long as they have. If Ainge had the ability to make a big move and didn't do it, he needs to be in another line of work. Besides, Garnett alone is enough to make Boston one of the east's top three. As for mortgaging the future, funny things happen when inertia starts flowing in the right direction. If I'm a Celtics fan, I'll take Garnett, Allen and Pierce and let it ride.

Edit: Sorry to draft off you Ashy ... scrolled back through and read the thread after posting. Always good policy ... ::)

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Waiting for young players to develop almost never works in the NBA. You have to strike now.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Garnett will have the same complaint with his new employer that Harold Reynolds has with mlb.com: not enough touches.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Even with the Pats' success, they still feel like interlopers to me.

The Red Sox and Celtics have always been king.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Ray Allen is injury prone? He's played in 76 or more games in seven of his 11 seasons. Before this last season, he played in 78 games in back-to-back seasons.

8. boots

boots New Member

Does anyone know why Garnett picked Number 5 to wear? I know 21 is retired by the Celtics.

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Garnett chose five because that's how many letters are in stoob, and the number of words in King Of The Ass Fuckers.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He's the 5th spade.

11. boots

boots New Member

Is that supposed to be some kind of racial joke?

12. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Is that supposed to be some kind of racial joke?
    [/quote]

Check out the long thread on the journalism board about the editor missing something.

Draft saved Draft deleted