1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Garnett to Celtics talks back on

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Jul 30, 2007.

1. AP reporting that the deal is agreed upon.

By HOWARD ULMAN
    AP Sports Writer

BOSTON (AP) — Kevin Garnett is leaving Minnesota after the Boston Celtics agreed to acquire the All-Star forward in a multiplayer trade with the Timberwolves, a Celtics official told The Associated Press on Monday.

Among the players who could be headed to Minnesota are forward Al Jefferson, guard Sebastian Telfair, swingman Gerald Green and center Theo Ratliff, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. The official also said the Timberwolves would get at least one draft choice.

The teams still had some things to clarify with the players’ contracts, but the official said that would not keep the Celtics from acquiring Garnett, although there could be a change in the players ticketed for the Timberwolves.

There was a chance that a conference call announcing the trade would be held Monday, the official said.

Garnett, 31, has spent all of his 12 NBA seasons with Minnesota. He would get an extension of his contract, which has one year plus an option year remaining, the official said.

The Celtics had tried to get Garnett late last month, but his agent said he didn’t want to go to Boston.

Since then, Boston acquired seven-time All-Star guard Ray Allen from Seattle in a draft day deal. Already with Paul Pierce, the Celtics would become instant contenders in the mediocre Atlantic Division with Garnett, even without promising forward Jefferson.

The Celtics obtained Allen and the 35th pick of the draft for guards Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak, and forward Jeff Green of Georgetown, whom they drafted with the fifth pick.
    T
    he Celtics have won just three playoff series during Pierce’s nine years with them. They still have an NBA-record 16 championships, but none since 1986.

“They have no excuses, this team out there,” Danny Ainge, the executive director of basketball operations, said after Allen was acquired.

Pierce, 29, led the Celtics in scoring last season but played only 47 games because of injury.

Allen, who turns 32 next month, averaged a career-high 26.4 points last season, his 11th, but underwent surgery to remove bone spurs on both ankles that required him to wear protective boots. He is expected to be ready for training camp.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

What are the chances of Billy-boy doing some auto-erotic asphixiation right now?

He's probably so happy the Celts are adding someone like KG that the friction he's creating by pulling his pudd so fast is likely to start another round of SoCal wildfires. At the same time, he'll realize that since they traded away his favorite player on that team (Jefferson), that he'll wrap a noose around his neck, so as soon as the deed is done, he'll be out for the count.

Yeah, I can imagine him doing that. And yeah, I am a sick puppy.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I agree. As much as I'm concerned that Ainge is trading away the future, if he's committed to winning now, the deal makes sense.

4. Mmac

Mmac Guest

It only makes sense if they immediately win, and win BIG, next year. Allen and KG are each entering their 13th year in the league, Pierce his 10th, it's now or never b/c the Celts are gonna be awful again in 2-3 years.

And where are the Celts other 9 roster spots gonna come from? Didn't the Allen trade essentially consist of 3 guys (Wally Z, West, and the 5 pick) in exchange for just 1; and preliminary reports indicate this is gonna basically be FIVE guys, Jefferson (a future all star), Green, Telfair, Gomes and Ratleff's rights, in exchange for just 1. After trading away 8 to get 2, just who do the Celts have left other than the three aging stars? Who's gonna be the the point guard entrusted to run this show, Rajon Rondo? Good luck with that.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good for the C's. You're never guaranteed anything tomorrow. Build it now and wins will come.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

For Garnett's sake, I hope they win it all.

I might just watch an NBA game or two next year.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

This autmatically puts Boston right up there.
    Garnett,Allen,Pierce. That's a great group of unselfish superstars.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Looks like Gomes is not involved, which would help. Jefferson is going to be a stud, if he's not already. Green had the look of a future stud, but I guess you never know. Bottom line is I guess the goal is to win the NBA Finals, and Ainge is putting the team in a position to do that.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yeah, Jefferson is a beat. He was the reason why Ainge didn't pulled back the first time. But like you said, he's looking to win now.

P.S. And let me get this out right now. KG has not lost a single step.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I take it back, Ainge is mortgaging the future (see below from the Boston Globe) for probably two shots at a title. I know Garnett is a great player, but man that's a lot to give up.

And from the Boston Herald:

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And what exactly did ANY of those players do together? Jefferson is the only potential star in that group. The others are hacks. They're ruining Scalabrine by running him off the bench. He's a starter. Oh, no one agrees with that statement, but I watched him a lot during his USC days. He was one of the best players in the country. Some guys are good starters, some do well off the bench. Scalabrine needs to start and get 30-35 minutes a night.

What will be a stinger down the road are the 1st-round picks. But again, the future is fickle at best. Fans want to win now.

A healthy NBA needs the Celtics to be a contender.

Draft saved Draft deleted