1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gardening

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 11, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do you have an extension agent? If you do, try getting a soil sample done. Your local hardware store owner or local nursery can give you the 411 on your local ground as well.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I know it's dry clay underneath, but we have 6-inch elevated bed with topsoil put in from the local nursery. We also put a little compost in but not a lot.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Thought I would revive this thread in honor of a particularly unusual vegetable we are going to be growing soon. It is called a Peter Pepper. And is named so for the rather obvious reason as to what it looks like. I linked some images below.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Peter+Pepper&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

According to my garden expert, Mama Liesl, they are very rare and almost impossible to purchase as a plant. She was able to locate some seeds (at a cost of 40 cents per seed) online and has been growing them for the past 5 weeks for me to give as a Father's Day present to a friend.

Not only are they obvious conversation plants, they are also rather hot peppers that are quite tasty. And once dried, the can be ground up to make a great chili powder.

Now, keep in mind that I am not going to be growing them, but rather giving them to an avid vegetable gardener I know. It will be interesting, to say the least, to see how they grow.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

My grass is high enough that, should they not be able to play at Bethpage because of too much rain, they can come to my yard and no one will break par.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Hilarous. I have never seen one of those before, but I must grow one now.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

The penis pepper plants (as my friend calls them) were well-received. However, he did say that once Mama Liesl finds him a vagina plant, THEN he will get excited.

Mama Liesl, one who doesn't like to let people down, located the two following plants:

Nipple Fruit:

http://www.reimerseeds.com//nipple-fruit-eggplants.aspx

and a Clitoris Flower:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350172871131&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Liesl, if we ever do manage to have a women-of-sj outing, Mama Liesl has to come, too. :)

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

How have the Topsy Turvey plants worked for you? I saw them today at Home Depot for $10, and thought about getting a pepper plant and a tomato plant. Just looking for some feedback on how they've worked first.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I landscaped almost the entire side of my house by myself for the first time this Sunday.

I would like to thank Dr. J for leaving me with no gardening tools for this project. I literally had to use a stick that I found underneath the house to dig until he came home with a trowel. Honestly, I must have looked like an escaped mental patient, but I was losing daylight fast.

I planted and mulched before the sun went down and even got the solar lights working. The ones that Dr. J left out all winter. Resilent bastards, they are.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wanna know if mama Lies(l) has discovered any new erotic plants

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I just want to know what went into the "breeding" of those plants.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I've got a bit of a goofy garden growing.

Potatoes in towers are doing better than last year.

[​IMG]

Some are in an old plastic trash can.

[​IMG]

I'm trying to grow fennel for the first time.

[​IMG]

And, I just stuck some grocery store celery cores in the ground to see if they might grow.

[​IMG]

The herb garden is going full blast. This is a chive blossom in front of oregano.

[​IMG]

Tomatoes, squash, peppers and egg plants are in the ground. Cucumbers are growing is 30 gallon left over sweet feed barrels.

And, the nasturtiums are finally blooming.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted