1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gardening

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 11, 2009.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm also intriqued by that Topsy Turvy because about the only other option for me is some small tomato plants in planters on my deck. No sunlight areas in the rest of my yard because of trees. Anyone else know anything about this "Topsy Turvy"?

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Depending how the weather goes, I'd like to get some tomato and cucumbers plants in the ground. It's be chilly lately, though.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just to watch it die?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Go to your Lowe's or Home Depot, buy a plastic gallon bucket. Cut a 1-inch diameter hole in the center of the bottom of it. Use it to hang your tomato plants upside down. Use some S hooks to hang them on the railing of your deck. Or even some poly rope.

You'll save about $40 off the TT thing and get the same results.

(And be sure to punch some extra holes in the bottom of the bucket so excess rain can drain out.)

That said, upside tomatoes work very, very well. You can sometimes double the output of the plant.

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

No room for veggies unfortunately, but I put in a couple of snapdragons and a hanging planter of geraniums today. Turf patch goes down tomorrow. Am thinking about putting in another rose bush too, but first I need to find someone who can tell me what all is in my yard, and how I can get rid of some of it.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If I didn't live on the second/third floor, I'd completely try planting flowers. Though I'd forget about them and they'd die in a week.

Oh well. At least I'd have tried!

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you have a balcony, try a window box... I grew huge tomato plants when I lived in an apartment. They didnt bear much fruit, but they were huge.

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

ijag, African Violets are good indoor flowers. They like indirect sunlight, so they're perfect for a windowsill, and if you plant them in a nesting pot, you only have to worry about checking the water once a week or so.

9. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

I have an iphone app that grows white root Sunday School teacher sprouts. I get watch 'em huntdown and strangle fat cow cornfed US soccer mom spawn in slow motion.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You obviously live in the south. I could never plant tomatoes much before the Victoria Day weekend (end of May)

Miss my veggie garden.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Nor much going in my northwest corner of the continent. My grapevine is sprouting and the marigolds are in full bloom. I planted some seeds my host mom pulled off some flowers last year, too. They're coming up but I have no idea what they are.

Tried planting garlic, too, but nothing yet. I miss having a real garden, but I do have roses at work.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Epcot has a "ride" that shows you all of the cool way they grow plants at the resort. They have almost everything upside down . Pretty fascinating stuff.

Start watching at about 5:10.

Draft saved Draft deleted