1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gardening

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Planted tomatoes, strawberries and shallots today.

Anybody else got veggies going this summer?

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I planted some Aloe Vera yesterday. Yes, I know that's not a vegetable, but it's all I've got. I'm still growing last year's garlic chives, which are great in a salad.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is aloe easy to grow?

And AA I'm checking into those antique roses.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Flower beds, but no veggies. Would love to, but the sunlight at the estate reaches in certain spots, since we have like two dozen trees on the lot... so good space is at a premium...

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

The snow is finally melted and the smallish backyard is a big patch of dirt, with sparse grassy areas. Once we get through rainy season, I'm going to re-seed the backyard ... which might be a little challenging because our backyard is very shaded. Which also raises another question - what's worth planting in shaded areas?

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Yes, aloe vera is very easy to grow. And PLEASE check into the antique roses. They are amazing. Inky, are you in our neck of the woods?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Squirrels ate my tomatoes last summer. Epic failure.

I will say that my herbs are looking great.

8. No veggies. I am a flower guy.
    My Asiatic Lillies are coming up along with my other perenniels.
    I have flats of Johnny Jump Ups, Dahlias, Enchincheas and Zinnias in my green house that I'm growing to plant in the next few weeks in the flower beds.
    Two springs ago I tore up my front yard and made it into a 4X20 flower bed, with a Lilliac bush in the middle of it.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did my third flower bed last month... 8x8 with a camelia bush in the middle, five rose bushes around it and more flowers.
    One I did last year has a dwarf (ahh, the irony) peach tree in the middle with flowers and the first one was built around a pink dogwood, which died. As did the one I replaced with with last year.
    Also did a 4x24 flower bed on the side of the house. Boxwoods and a bunch of impatiens for this one.. it will never get much sun.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm going to try and drop a bunch of seeds in the ground in a few weeks for nothing more than economical reasons.

Wild flowers and some Black Eyed Susans hopefully will be pushing through mid-June.

11. I scorched most of blacked-eyed susans last year. .. hope to have better luck this year.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Saw a product tonight called Topsy Turvy that lets you grow tomatoes upside down to make asshole gravity work for, not against, you.

I'm wondering if I can grow weed in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted