1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett's regional toning center

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wedgewood, May 1, 2007.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Precisely, Ace! That's my point... :)

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

On the other hand, you kind of have to admire this guy's desire to do his job well.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just underlining it for you, steve-o!

4. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Has any reader — anywhwere — started subscribing to a newspaper because, gosh darn it, those photos sure are toned nicely?

5. North61

North61 Member

Anal photographers everywhere

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Latest horror story: The menu gives you several options for when photos come in. I sent four photos and specified I needed them by six. One arrived at 5:10. The rest moseyed in between 7:30 and 8:15. We toned our own photos last night. If it isn't better tonight, we're going to keep it that way. I'm tired of playing long-distance games.

7. We're running something next week with a bunch of mugshots, hard copies, not photos in the system. If we were partaking in this bullshit, would I have to mail these mugs to Des Moines?

8. bevo

bevo Member

How reliable is this information? Is this really going to happen? I would like to know as my livelihood depends on it.

9. I've heard absolutely nothing about this at my Gannett shop. Although, I'm usually the last to know. ::)

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

You could mail them via sore-footed tortoise, and they would return faster than this system.

11. goodgolly

goodgolly New Member

I was in on of one of the conference calls dedicated to this new project earlier this week, and it was hilariously frustrating. Just a complete cluster, the project leaders admitted it wasn't ready, some papers' computers have struggled with compatability issues, sent photos took as long as 30 minutes just to get there. Fortunately, we kept our phone on mute as we all laughed, threw our hands in the air and wondered which millionaire exec laying on a beach in the Caribbean thought of this beauty.

When asked why this is still being launched on time, despite not being ready in any way, the person actually replied, on a nationwide conference call, "welcome to Gannett." No word on if this individual is still working for Gannett. :D

By the way, got word last night the launch is now being delayed a week to "get some kinks out," other than the poor papers who have been used as guinea pigs and are already using it. The center will be used for all papers in Wisconsin and Iowa and all points west, from my understanding.

One person asked about Friday night football, and how the center will be able to handle getting 1,000 photo requests in about an hour's time. The person in charge couldn't seem to grasp the situation, which wasn't a good sign. Though we'll see if this thing is even around by late August.

Ironic that our photos for the "Local Information Centers" will be toned at the "Regional Toning Center."

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Des Moines? Couldn't this be done more cost-effectively in Mumbai?

Draft saved Draft deleted