1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett's new high school sports sites -- and robotic story writing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gannettblog, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good idea. I'm getting my kid a scholarship, dammit!

2. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I think MaxPreps already uses robotic writing, and it's awful.

A sample from a school chosen at random
    http://www.maxpreps.com/contests/jqsRae96PUqrWksKHqfitg/football-fall-09/boxscore-hercules-hercules-vs-mission-san-jose-fremont.htm

California High School Football - Hercules knocks off Mission San Jose

(September 25, 2009: Hercules, CA 94547) The Hercules Titans football squad scored 30 points and limited the visiting Mission San Jose Warriors to 7 in the Titans non-league win on Friday.

The Titans now possess a 2-2 record. They play next when they travel to Richmond for a Alameda Contra Costa battle on Friday, October 2. Hercules will play a Oilers squad coming off a 22-18 non-league win over Marshall (San Francisco, CA). The Oilers record now stands at 1-3.

Coming up next, the Warriors play the American Eagles (Fremont, CA) in a Mission Valley battle, on Friday, October 2. Mission San Jose will attempt to advance on its 0-3 season record. The Eagles go into the battle with a 1-2 record after their 20-15 non-league win over Tennyson (Hayward, CA).

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Correct and correct. MaxPreps gets away with it because it is and will (under its biz model) always be a free site.

The newspaper intends to pry 50 or 75 cents from your pocket to read this sort of prose in print each day and/or put it behind the pay wall they think you'll pay $8.95/month to breach.

Yeah, good luck with that.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's mind-numbing.

I love the philosophy on this -- that parents/fans are so eager to read about their little darlings that they will read any crap a machine can spit out.

If you don't have any names, you got nothing.

5. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Yeah, one of the "trusted users" in such a system at a paper in my former chain was Joc Strap.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nice AP style on those dates. Outside that, it reads like a dream. I feel like I'm on the sidelines.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Hey, my kid's name wasn't in the story. Do you know how hard he works? Goddamn stupid robot.

8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

"My Commodore 64 is going to kick your TRASH-100's ass. Then you'll be sorry you didn't use his name in your story."

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's obvious that all they had was a score and a schedule plus conference standings.

Even Red "Reboot" Smith couldn't make chicken salad out of that.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And you forgot the JV score. The R2 units try hard too.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

This is doomed for failure on many fronts, and I'll be happy to watch the machines go down on a grand scale. Nice move Gannett. This is like punching holes in the Titanic...geesh.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

SkyNet needs to do something to practice with in preparation for taking over the world. Why not newspapers?

Draft saved Draft deleted