1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett's new high school sports sites -- and robotic story writing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gannettblog, Aug 19, 2010.

1. gannettblog

gannettblog New Member

In a move that could signal Gannett's first publicly-known use of "robotic" story writing with Narrative Science software, the company announced yesterday that it's launching a new network of more than 100 microsites devoted to high school sports across its existing U.S. newspaper and TV websites.

Here's my new post: http://tinyurl.com/35psrjr

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If they're not calling us now, they're sure as hell not gonna sit in front of a computer and click on little boxes.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There is a Gannett paper in my state where this would be an improvement over the work submitted by one non-prep sports writer if only for the reason the software cares more about preps than the non-prep sports writer does.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So long as somebody programs a few lines in there that takes "it was a tale of two halves" out of the bank of possible ledes ...

5. Don't forget, "What a difference a year makes."

;D

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

http://www.communitysportsdesk.com/

This company tried to sell our newspaper on the service. It looks similar to what Gannett is trying. Corporate said no and still wants to push blogs for community groups.

Getting a group to sign up for a blog is one thing. Having that blog have more than five posts is another.

7. jrw

jrw Member

"Robotic" story writing ... those three words make me want to puke.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't know ... they might be more willing to do that putting in their own information than trusting it to the godless media, and on their own time.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Post of the year!
    I laughed til I cried!

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Robotic is a term the management team knows well.

1. Respond to declining profit by cutting staff.
    2. As staff cuts result in continuing declining circ and profit - see No. 1.

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Remember these words: Garbage in, garbage out.

How long before someone hijacks the system and the paper pubs a story (online and/or in print) chock full of kids hitting six-run home runs or scoring on a 135-meter kickoff return.

12. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

It won't take long.

Draft saved Draft deleted