1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett's idea to save journalism: More meetings!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Our latest solution to cut overtime: Once a month, everyone has to work a split day off week!

2. Mediator

Mediator Member

I was still kind of new when I got the request for a minority source list, so I went through all my docs and pulled out all the women and minorities who work in sports, put them into a spreadsheet as requested, identified what they did and where they worked. I called a few who I thought were particularly key and told them I was passing their info along and they might get calls from other parts of the paper for different issues outside of sports. I believed -- and still do -- that it's important to vary your sources so that you aren't reporting the same point of view because that's the easiest person to reach.

Did you other Gannett folks get that list?

3. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

And when the paper still exists after the six months, the higher-ups across the country say, "See, we can get along fine without that position! Oh, and be sure to take your unpaid day off this week. ... But what do you mean there won't be anyone to man the desk Thursday?"

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

You get consecutive days off? Lucky!

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Gannett is the devil.

Draft saved Draft deleted