1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett Voluntary Buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Woody Long, Oct 15, 2020.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I moved from New England to Houston, Texas, and aggressively applied to stuff for about 10 months. Thankfully, I found some sports freelancing from this board to keep me from relying 100 percent on my (now) wife's income, but I didn't even get a callback on anything for 9 months. In that 10th month, I got three interviews and the offer for the job I'm in now. Must have just been something in the water.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Glad you found something. It must have been very difficult.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Since when did Texans not care about sports coverage?

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Supply of qualified sports journalists far outstrips demand in pretty much every single market right now. (And at this point, I'm no longer a journo, but my 10 years or so, most of them were on the news side because it was always easier to find a job on that side.)

2muchcoffeeman and I Should Coco like this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

And the ratio of "former" to "jobs still available" is even worse for newspaper photographers. I can easily count 20 former newspaper photographers living in my small North Idaho town alone.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I get the need and urgency to get away from Gannett at all costs, but in this current environment, I'd be very afraid of jumping when things are so uncertain. I hope Babyjay keeps us posted about this hypothetical scenario, what the decision is and how it turns out.

When I was with Gannett, we had a guy in the newsroom who was a little bit of a martyr, thought the bosses were always out to get him and keep him down, etc. One of the buyout opportunities came along, and he said "Fuck it, I'm out." Some of us tried to play Devil's Advocate with him, and asked what would happen if his wife (who was a sales rep there) lost her job. They had a small child at the time.

He said his wife is fine and secure in her job and blew off all of those concerns. Of course, 2 months later, she was laid off.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

They care quite a bit, judging by the number of Texas radio stations offering local and national sports talk and sports coverage.

8. LanceyHoward

Talk is cheap. Cheaper than beat based journalism.

Liut likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Bingo. Since the pandemic's struck, there have been dozens of times (for anyone still working at a newspaper) when it would have been easy to say, "F#@* you all" and walk right out. That'll teach em!

Reality: as nice as that would be, there's still the matter of finding a job in this COVID-racked economy. Or finding a job that won't easily be cut in a couple months when the latest fit hits the shan.

Don't walk unless you've got a reliable job waiting for you.

PaperDoll and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  10. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Correct. And listeners can call in, interact and opine with the hosts, which they can't do when reading a sports columnist.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

All the better to hone your forklift skills.

Liut likes this.
  12. LanceyHoward

What percentage of listeners call in to talk radio shows? I read once that it was less than 10% but don't know. Obviously the larger the market and audience the smaller the percentage.

Draft saved Draft deleted