1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett Voluntary Buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Woody Long, Oct 15, 2020.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Letters going out today. No age or years of service minimums, open to all employees. 1 week severance per year of service, plus a small cash bonus for taking the buyout.

As what was said earlier - so much for the commitment to adding staff.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Where did you hear about the letters going out and are they being sent to everyone?

3. BurnsWhenIPee

Heard from a buddy at a Gannett shop who is pondering the buyout, and yes, he says sent to everyone and everyone is eligible. Bonus of $3,000 in addition to the severance, health benefits through the end of the year.

4. Tarheel316

Thanks. I'll be looking for the letter.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I’ve heard they’re giving one week of severance pay for every year of service. But again, check first on when your clock starts. You could’ve been at your paper for 20 years and just been bought by GannettHouse 5 years ago.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. BurnsWhenIPee

And check to see if it is a true severance, or just piggybacking on unemployment, and it goes away if you get other employment.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I remember Gatehouse health plans being substandard. That said, if you're offered insurance for a year it's definitely worth looking at.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

I was told it is insurance benefits through the end of the year. So through the end of 2020.

9. Tarheel316

Less than two months. Not so good.

10. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

They did go out today, you have until next Tuesday to let them know. If accepted, you must stay with the company until Dec. 1 to still be eligible for all offerings.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A whole two and a half months? during a pandemic? how generous.....(sneer).

12. Tarheel316

That's not a whole lot of time to make a decision since snail mail takes at least two days.

Draft saved Draft deleted