1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett Voluntary Buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Woody Long, Oct 15, 2020.

1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

It is definitely not the Bell & Howell of yore. The name was sold to a private equity firm in 2001. After a merger and a bankruptcy, it was bought by another private equity firm in 2011 and sold to yet another private equity firm in December 2018.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but when the planes are just starting to get invented and the company spends its time on “Buggy-Whips 1900” initiatives for their employees who are now called Mo-Bugs at the Local Whip Center, the suits are going to get ripped on. Especially if they cut phonograph records about how everything is awesome.

Batman likes this.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

It sounds like Bell and Howell could be a case study for what is happening to Sports Illustrated.

matt_garth likes this.
  4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Wow. Kleinberg is a South Florida institution. I was surprised to see he was still working at The Palm Beach Post in 2020. I guess it was only a matter of time before he either retired or got laid off. Now, I'm sure, he'll use the time to write books about Florida and make more money than he ever did reporting.

How can Gannett make Cincinnati, Columbus and Akron "as big and profitable as possible" when the company has slashed staff in those key areas? Shareholders are a cancer.

5. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

That's really interesting about Frank Gannett. I didn't know that. (Also, "The Great Hyphenator" would have been a great name if he had gone into professional wrestling.)

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Great Hyphenator’s finishing move would be the Colon.

7. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

I'M DYING.

Draft saved Draft deleted