1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett trainwreck in the works?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Sep 21, 2010.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Heard from a friend in the biz today that Gannett is in the process of consolidating the copy desks of something like 17 newspapers in the Northeast to one central location in New Jersey. That's right ... copy editors in New Jersey will be expected to catch mistakes about towns located hundreds of miles away written by reporters they've never met and likely won't be able to contact.

Is it just me, or does this sound like a colossally bad idea?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It sounds like typical Gannett to me. To hell with quality if they can save a few pennies.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Following the lead of Scripps, which puts out West Coast papers -- designing, editing, all the inside stuff -- at one central location in Corpus Christi. Not a surprise, especially considering it is in the process of consolidating the designing of all papers at like five locations.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've been a reporter, designer and copy editor, and one thing I've learned at all the places I've worked is that it's nearly impossible to pick up on certain errors until you know your coverage area. And it's also sometimes absolutely necessary to know the reporter or at least be able to talk to him or her.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's much easier to move one central design/edit desk from New Jersey to Bangalore than it is to move 20 of them.

6. WS

WS Member

That's what Media General is doing. 20-something papers being designed in either North Carolina or Virginia, even papers in Alabama

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not really news. The plan has been discussed for weeks on the board.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Hopkins Gannettblog had info on this a couple of weeks ago. Gannett is planning on five design hubs (Phoenix, Indy, Louisville, and I don't recall the other two), where all the papers are going to be done at.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This has been in the works for a while.
    The primary function of the copy desk has become layout, which makes this a good idea.
    This will increase the number of errors as copy editors continue to lose any real status as editors, which will further lower people's opinions of newspapers, making this a bad idea.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

We have a river running through town that has an old Indian name. Naturally, there are a hundred different streets, clubs, businesses, schools, golf courses, etc. named after it. There are three different spellings. We have cheat sheets to verify which spelling to use at which time. In one case - the most nuts of them all - there is an elementary school named after the river located on a road named after the river. They use two different spellings.

I was born and raised here and can't keep it straight. How the heck would someone 500 miles away that's never been here know?

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Next bright idea: Let's pool reporters into one central location and do all reporting via the telephone.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Forget "in the works." Some would say Gannett has been a trainwreck in progress for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted