1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett to close Nashville design studio

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BTExpress, Aug 1, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You all need to listen in on a Gannett quarterly earnings report for some real BS. They've been able to sell it to investors for years, may as well figure subscribers will feel the same way.

I'd love to get hired as a consultant to Gannett. No way their own people are creative enough to come up with some of the corporate double-speak and initiatives on their own..

"Sports coach?" Really? I can hear the phone calls now. "Hello - I want to know which school that sports coach works at, and why'd you let him decide when deadlines are? Why didn't you ask our coach? "

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

What in the hell is a "sports coach?"

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Just another way of saying editor. Gannett wanted to do away with editors because it was an archaic structure in a newsroom that needed to move forward with the times. Editors edit. Coaches do so much more, like, um, coach. For years, I was the "content coach" for sports and news. I was told I should never refer to myself as sports editor, that we needed to brand the term "content coach." When people would call and ask for the sports editor, I'd have to say "This is the content coach." Of course, that would lead to an Abbott and Costello routine of trying to explain to readers that I was actually sports editor without being the sports editor.

Funny thing is that after I left my job and they began to advertise my opening, they went back to calling it a sports editor. They're smart enough to know that nobody is going to apply for a content coach job, but sports editor will attract applicants. Of course, after a couple of years of having me do everything under the sun (news editing, website management, evening print planning, etc.), they've reverted back to letting the sports editor just be a sports editor (for now).

Double-speak is Gannett's strongest trait.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Gannett just announced a one percent staff reduction by Sept. 15. I'm not sure if the shuttered design studios count.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Stagger said Garnett got rid of editors because it was an archaic structure. I think technically it was so they could say they eliminated the jobs and then create new ones at lower pay. More of a legal thing.

6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Whoever wrote that headline in the Colorodan about it being 'exciting times' that preps aren't in next day's paper should be fired.

Bronco77 likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I heard an editor use the term "exciting changes" in a meeting. He bailed for a gig at Bloomberg within three months. He saw the writing on the wall.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Little surprised more talented editors aren't throwing in the towel and getting out now. The industry seems to be getting worse as we near the holiday season. I have a sneaky feeling the next couple months are going to be unprecedented in terms of layoffs and things of that nature.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Don't like that story. Basically it said the ONLY thing people care about are flowery profiles of players and coaches. WAIT now! I thought we were told all people care about are short bursts of breaking news. WTF. Please educate Fredrick if he's wrong. I've deduced the higher ups don't know a fricking thing about newspapers. The people who make decisions have no idea how sports should be covered. That's why The Athletic has a fighting chance. Guess what, suits? The Athletic is basically old school journalism. The Athletic is trying to prove the old school way of covering teams (blanket coverage; did I say blanket coverage of all kinds) is still the way to cover teams.
    This is very intriguing the way the Gannett, and McClods and Gatewastes of the world's higher ups are all non newspaper people. We've finally got rid of them all. These people hate reading; they want video, video video; they want radio in the form of podcasts. They don't want journalism. This is compelling to witness the continued death of a once-proud industry.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We are enthused that you are compelled.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Meetings in Wisconsin Gannett chain starting Sept. 20 touted as One Wisconsin Newsroom....except for Milwaukee....I have to give kudos to the MJS. Have basically said we will keep doing things the way we have.

That seems to be the common theme. Exciting changes....that higher-ups are trying not to be part of because they know the writing is on the wall. Can't really have any less content writers and still have anything local on the websites.

Draft saved Draft deleted