1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett strikes again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Sep 3, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Didn't offend me. Just figured it needed to be in a more appropriate category.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

OK

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

At work we use a program called site catalyst. If any of you use this program to traffic web hits, go take a look at how many hits the careerbuilder classifieds get. It drives sites. It's actually not a bad thing. If the web hits keep coming, it wont be that bad.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't understand the concern. It's a help wanted website. What's Gannett going to do to it? Make sure each post doesn't jump and includes mainstreaming and a pie chart?

Now, if you say that Gannett doesn't appear to employ anyone with beyond a sixth-grade level of computer programming and will make the site hard to use, I might buy that.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What's the latest on Gannett's supposed "local wrap" plan at four or five of its sites?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Is CareerBuilder a legitimate organization?

All I know about them is that every time I have received a notice asking to respond as a reference for someone, the link did not work. And nobody ever actually picks up a phone and calls the person being used as a reference. And to apply for a position you have to go though all kinds of bogus hoops as they ask you "Are you interested in more education?" . . . "Are you interested in improving your credit score?"

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes, it's legit. Probably the best of the online job sites.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

You will go through hoops, but sometimes, you can get a call back or two.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The good news for Gannett employees is they will no longer have to fear a meeting with their paper's Human Resources directors, since it appears Gannett is laying most of them off along with circulation directors and production directors. I imagine they'll just have the assistants do the job at their current level of pay, but jeez.
    And Gannett Blog is saying the Cincy Inquirer's page views DROPPED about 20 percent in the last month after they installed a new web site.

10. Yes, and you can also get a free $50 giftcard to Chillis, Outback Steakhouse or Olive Garden. And you might get 10 free ringtones if you're lucky.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

If it's the same crappy template their other outlets are using, I understand completely.

Draft saved Draft deleted