1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett shuttering Mommy website

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Another genius content move by Gannett doesn't pan out. MomsLikeMe closing Oct. 14. Anyone surprised the Moms LikeMe sites are shutting down?

When I worked for a regional chain, one of the big wigs and the former publisher of the Indy Star used to talk up sites like this as the greatest thing that would help save quality journalism.

Gannett will "invest" in product development on social websites and their GroupOn clone, which will also fail.

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/urgent-gci-shutting-moms-like-me-sites.html

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

MILFSLikeMe still going strong.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure there is a monkey in a basement somewhere in Virginia that helps Gannett figure out its next initiatives. I've never seen a company toss out more "bold moves" and then abandon them within a few years.
    I guess they just need to find new ways to con their advertisers into buying more ads when fewer and fewer people read the paper.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is that Scott Brown's website?

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I bow in your general direction.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

And now Craig Dubow resigns as Gannett chair, CEO. Marjorie Magner named chair. Gracia Martore named president, CEO.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i like that the lede is in the third graf of the memo:
    Hey folks, exciting times ahead. blah. blah. blah. blah.
    BTW, we're shutting down momslikeme.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When that launched, I was in Indy as a stay-at-home dad with my 1-year-old. And seemingly every day my mailbox would be stuffed with the Star's moms crap. Not going to say I was offended, per se, but I thought it was pretty short-sighted and stupid.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Oh no. One less outlet for a mommy to make an attempt to become the Bill Simmons of breastfeeding. #sarcasm

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Hey Gannett, how's about shutting sites like those and putting more content and more PAGES back into your papers?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Abandon them in a few years? Heck, more like a few months. It was ridiculous.

12. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

I don't get the mindset of wishing that these things would fail.

Tell me which is more plausible:

1. Some idea like this works, generating more revenue for your company and helping you avoid a few layoffs and buyouts so you can keep doing what you're doing.

2. This idea fails, so people put "more pages in the paper" even when every shred of evidence you can find suggests that ain't happening.

Seriously? What year are you guys living in?

Draft saved Draft deleted