1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett sells four newspapers to Gatehouse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Apr 12, 2007.

1. If you're in management, probably. Apparently these negotiations have been going on since December, so it's a pretty good chance the higher ups in these newsrooms knew something was going on. I mean did anyone notice some big management-types at one of these papers jump ship since December, most likely to another Gannett paper. It's very possible Gannett got them out of there because they were going to sell.

And apparently Gannett is going to offer management members of the papers sold the chance to stay with Gannett at another paper. So one way or another the revolving door is about to happen at some of these papers.

2. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I think that's the way they usually do it. If you're a Gannett lifer (and most of the editors are) you'll just get transferred to another Gannett factory -- err, newspaper.

3. During my rare forays into the office, I use a 1999 Dell with a Pentium 2. Barely usable. It takes 20 minutes to boot.

I buy my own laptops. That's why mine work.

I'm with Gannett.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Apparently the sale of the Norwich paper is directly linked to me getting married.

In 1981, I was a young buck, fresh out of college with six months experience at a small daily under my belt and had just gotten hired at the Bulletin.

I started the Norwich job, worked a week or two, then got married and went on a short honeymoon.

When we got back, I picked up my hometown paper and saw that the Bulletin had been sold to Gannett. I wondered if I was gonna have a job. In the end, it worked out well.

I am getting remarried in July, and the paper is sold again. Coincidence?

But seriously, I am surprised they bought two Connecticut papers and then sold Norwich. They could have pooled resources (as they often do) and saved some money. That would have allowed Norwich to have more staff-written UConn stuff, even if it came from Stamford.

5. EdReed

EdReed Member

I have received a new iMac twice in the last 4 years, as has just about everyone else at my paper (Gannett owned). We also received 40 notebook laptops with wi-fi cards that were distributed to our reporters, including all full-timers in the sports dept., since the start of the new year. At least now we know how the company's paying for all our technological upgrades.

Draft saved Draft deleted