1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett sells four newspapers to Gatehouse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Apr 12, 2007.

1. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

LOL. I know JRC papers that haven't gotten them since 1999. Did these companies ever hear of leasing? It's much more economical in the long run.

Does anyone have new computers here? Mine haven't change since 2001. I got a 4GB hard drive in it. My IPOD has 20 time more space.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We got new Pentium 4 PCs last June. So, yes.

3. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Work at a newly acquired GateHouse (you should be able to tell where by my screen name). Seems GateHouse wants to be more collabritive with sister papers. I think they own four other papers in our circ. area and hinted they would want the Podunk guy to cover Podunk city council meetings and the BFE guy to cover the BFE city council meetings. Reason being, this allows just one person to cover the beat and frees up others. But may not apply to sports. Don't know if I like that or dislike it.

4. This ought to be interesting.
    Huntington is a good paper. With a nice website (comapred to the rest of W.Va's paper websites.

5. lapdog

lapdog Member

There are JRC papers using jigger-rigged Mac Classics, vintage 1986. Nineteen-Eighty-Six.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there's a strong connection between gatehouse and cnhi.

7. floridasun

floridasun Member

Congratulations to these four papers. The reign is over. Breathe in, breathe out.

8. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten a new computer since 2001, and I don't work for Gatehouse.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The folks in Rockford are stunned.

It's been a Gannett paper for 40 years. Why a small-time outfit like GateHouse is taking on an 80,000-circulation regional paper is boggling everyone's mind there. Everyone fells an ill wind blowing and are getting their résumés ready.

It would be the largest-circulation paper in the GateHouse chain when the sale is complete — Peoria is right there as far as circulation goes. This will be like the mouse swallowing the snake. How will GateHouse pay for buying Rockford? By buying out all the long-timers and slashing everything to the bone.

And from what I've been told, GateHouse used to be known as Liberty.

10. It's funny the different reactions come from the papers that were brought. Rockford is stunned while Norwich rejoices. But that feeling won't last. As somebody said on here, things are going to seem all right for a little while, then the Grim Reaper is going to come and start slashing jobs. Those four papers are now the biggest in the GateHouse chain, which is hard to believe. Are they going to know how to handle something like? I don't know and that remains to be see. But if I were working in any of those newsrooms, I wouldn't feel safe no matter what you're told.

11. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I think it's safe to say anyone, working in any newsroom, anywhere, shouldn't feel totally safe. But of course that feeling is much worse just after you've changed ownership.

12. I suppose we should just all quit now then.

Draft saved Draft deleted