1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett profit down 60 pct. in 1st qtr

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsGuyBCK, Apr 16, 2009.

1. agateguy

agateguy Member

One of the things that really bug me regarding Gannett is the impact of its financial troubles, and the related cost-cutting measures, upon the readership of its newspapers.

I don't just feel badly for the good people whose jobs are getting eliminated and other good people whose salaries are (unjustly in my view) getting cut.

I also feel badly for the readers, and I am pessimistic that things will improve for them anytime soon.

Solid, professional coverage of every aspect of a community - from the local major league team to the weekly meetings of the neighborhood association - is of far better value to a community than Metromix will ever, ever be.

We understand this. If Dubow and Co. can ever get that through their skulls, perhaps Gannett really will be positioned to thrive once the economy improves.

Draft saved Draft deleted