1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. agateguy

agateguy Member

Well said, Moddy.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I guess now would be as good a time as ever to work on that old resume.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Last year would have been better, but yeah.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1992 would have been a good time to change majors, but hindsight is so 20-20. ;D

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Is that a biblical quote? Show me.

6. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

The ol' saying is true: Can't never could. Anyone who followed that in human nature became a quitter in life.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

She's at the University of Florida and will Twitter you about why she believes in them.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Someone here PM'd me something a memo a Gannett SE sent out to his staff saying that those employees who in the past have resisted additional duties will be the first to get the axe...

Gotta love a SE who resorts to scaring the shit out of his employees when everyone should know that he likely won't have much say in who gets cut.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wow. So it's not just a matter of resisting additional duties today or tomorrow, now that everyone has had all these shots across their bows about job insecurity? It's the act of having resisted additional duties yesterday that might cost you your job tomorrow. Never mind the possible and valuable component of sharing information up the chain of command that certain work can't get done with these reduced numbers of staffers. You'd better shut up about that right now or you might be shitcanned next week, month or year.

Nice. Why don't they just say they're going to cut everyone who wore blue on the day before Thanksgiving last year.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And six months ago too it seems. Every time I'm unemployed or just getting by, I catch a break before deciding to scrap the journalism plan and go back for my teaching degree. One and a half years of classes, and a semester of student teaching is a long time. Might have to finally pull the trigger on that one this winter.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

funny, but i neither said it was nor did i imply it was a biblical quote.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what they are doing to their people is bullshit. the timing of this wreaks of nothing more than playing the stock market ... human lives/emotion be damned.

i only hope the little guy can one day shove it up gannett's collective ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted