1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yeah, math is bad 3,000 across 84 is an "average" of 35-40 per paper. Figure bigger papers (Phoenix, Detroit) will take a bigger hit.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's also safe to guess that USA Today will not see as many cuts as everywhere else.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So should I take this as a sign not to send a resume & clips to USA Today anytime soon? :-\

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have a former co-worker who is the SE at a Gannett paper that is slightly more than 100K circulation. He has a staff of 14. He's been told he is likely to lose 5-6 of them.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Well, I can't see how Louisville fills the two spots that were mentioned on the Jobs board here.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

5 or 6 of 14 seems like a lot more than 10 percent. But my math's not so good.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A lot of papers have staffers doing double-duty with "niche" pubs. Figure those people are safe since those revenues are going up. And I'm not aware of any niche pub aimed at male readers.
    Couple of ideas. Shrink the circ area again. Pull reporters off of beats involving outlying communities, combine city and county government beats, drop health, business and environmental stand-alone beats, cut state government to a half-time beat or rely on wire, drop columns in favor of "voice of the reader," everyone else, except for the education reporter, is a GA.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and investors rallied behind the stock when they heard of the upcoming layoffs ... jesus christ.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Exactly why I refuse to invest in anything.

Assholes. Cocksucking assholes.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and, for my money, it only proves that our industry is DOA, and we're the last to figure it out.

it seems as though only the bottom feeders are investing in newspapers now ... picking the little bit of meat left on the bone. how else can you qualify buying stock in a company that's weaking its own product with layoffs?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and to anybody who works for gannett: i'm sorry.

this really has to suck to be out on a limb for a month.

12. Yes it does

Draft saved Draft deleted