1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You mean like the circulation center of excellence which isn't open until 10 or 11 EST?

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

At least Dubow gets his bonus.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm just glad his back is okay.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Okay, I know it is Gannett and doesn't have to make sense, but why would they consolidate Murfreesboro, Clarksville and Jackson, but not include Nashville?

And I've worked on a regional copy desk. I guarantee a disaster. The page count will be so small, that you won't have many, if any, shared pages.
    And since it will all be local copy, local flavor will be edited out, or simply won't be included.
    Friday nights will be horrific.
    On the other hand, they might be able to pull off weekly Titans and or Vols gameday section. Maybe make some money as well.

5. bmm

bmm Member

These consolidation pagination/copy editing hubs aren't too grand. A Gannett paper in our area has lost a lot of its local flavor for AP articles, which can be found on the internet immediately after events.

Draft saved Draft deleted