1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gannett plans to layoff 3,000 by december.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 28, 2008.

1. spankys

spankys Member

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The number is higher than some predicted, but this should be a surprise to no one.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Good God.
    Now more than ever I am freaking happy to be away from Gannett.
    I will now be worried about those I know who work at Gannett papers.

4. Mizzougrad96

I'll be curious if they actually try to trim more from the staffs that they've already hacked to shit or if they're just going to start folding papers.

To reach this number, I'll be very surprised if a few places aren't folded or if the grand USA Today plan doesn't go into effect.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

That's a lot more than the whisper number.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This is why these guys get the big bucks:

I fully understand this announcement will cause you concern ...

At least this scumbag is soliciting feedback, which we all should be happy to provide:

My email address is rdickey@gannett.com. I promise you will be heard and receive a timely response.

7. I think I'll ask him how many people work at corporate and what is their combined salary.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Hopkins's blog says the most likely target are the 84 community papers in the system.
    As noted on there, those 84 papers provide 80 percent of the company's revenue. Assuming that's accurate, it seems strange to slash the cash cow — again.
    I just don't see the wisdom of floating prestige, money-losing metros when the smaller papers are the ones toting the load.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A 10 percent cut across the board is what 4 or 5 slots per paper? Most of the papers I know that will mean killing a regular beat or two, county government, a photog. Figure the cuts in newshole mean copy editors will get hit, loss of color space probably means a photog.

10. Mizzougrad96

By my math, it's a lot more than that...

11. WS

WS Member

ask how many people in advertising are getting cut, too

Draft saved Draft deleted