1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett paper: you have to reapply for your job, and while you're at it ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 23, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'd sure like to know how you came by that understanding. Yes, they had scandals, but those are, what, 10 to 20 years old? United Way is ranked very, very highly by Charity Navigator ...

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=4629#.VEpuO6NDSto

Some comparable organizations ... The American Red Cross and the ASPCA ... are ranked lower.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Never worked at a Gannett shop, but did work for another corporation who wanted donations for the United Way. The paper I worked had did have the local people with UW speak for a few minutes, but it never got shoved down our throats.

But the paper made sure to make a big fuss of everything and anything that involved that UW.

I'd rather make my contributions to the community by buying stuff through local fundraisers. At one paper I worked at (not the UW supporter), I agreed to do a "jail and bail" fundraiser for somebody raising money to attend FCCLA nationals. I'd rather do something to benefit a local kid than do something to appease a corporate hierarchy.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

When I worked in state government in South Carolina years ago, there was always a big push for United Way. Had to have that 100 percent participation. What galled me was the suits couldn't care less about the disadvantaged. They just wanted to make themselves look good. I'm sure United Way does good things but there shouldn't be any pressure to give.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My current company does something similar. We're all sent one of the contribution forms and those who fill them out (I don't) are entered into a contest for a significant prize.

Aside from the forms being sent to us, they email us to let us know when the deadline is, but that's it. No harrassment a la Gannett.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That, dammit!

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I recall a big push for 100 percent United Way participation at a former shop.

We on the newsroom night crew were the ones who threw out our cards and never "participated," so the ME stayed late (past 4 p.m.) one day and said, "Even if you don't give anything, fill out the cards so we have 100 percent participation, and the publisher will throw us a pizza party."

So we all took a couple minutes, filled out the damn United Way forms, and they had their 100 percent participation.

And then came a pizza party. At noon. Enjoy the taste of cardboard boxes, night shift, and thanks for your participation!

7. RecoveringJournalist

They should have a contest. Donate a day's pay and you get your name put in a drawing.

The winner gets a full year with no furloughs, layoffs or pay cuts.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, corporations is people, dontcha know.

9. Morris816

Morris816 Member

CNHI

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I've never worked anywhere that required United Way participation, but almost everybody has asked that employees at least fill out a card and check the "I choose not to contribute" box. One editor/publisher tandem I worked for was known to compile a list of people who didn't contribute. Their successors had the decency to end that practice.

Requiring United Way participation or using strong-arm tactics to get people to participate in these days of layoffs and zero percent raises is simply heinous. In the current atmosphere, charity begins at home.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My sister works for United way now and they are extremely frugal with how they spend their money. They get paid a professional wage and they spend money to raise money but most f what they get goes back into the community.

In the era of guidestar and 990s transparency is pretty important.

And I guess sports might have been immune to the United way push. Or I might have been oblivious to it but I don't recall a big push to get everyone signed up.

12. RecoveringJournalist

It wasn't required, but they shamed you into doing it and harrassed you if you didn't. I did it my first year because I didn't have an excuse ready.

Draft saved Draft deleted