1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett paper: you have to reapply for your job, and while you're at it ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Attend a meeting and sign a pledge card to the United Way. Nice job, Montgomery Advertiser publisher. You win Corporate Boob of the Day:

http://jimromenesko.com/2014/10/23/yes-you-might-lose-your-job-but-how-about-giving-some-money-to-united-way/

Unionize, good people of Montgomery. Unionize.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You should see a psychiatrist. This obsession is unhealthy.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm not the one who is providing the material for these posts. The material speaks for itself. I just post it.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Fuck the United Way and the heavy-handed tactics employers use to "encourage" people to give.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Worked at a place when the publisher wanted 100 percent participation, even if that meant a one-time donation. There was a drawing for a gift card among all who donated.

One reporter, who made very little money and had a young child, borrowed $1, made the one-time donation and won the drawing.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I worked in a Gannett shop for a brief time way back when (back when Gannett was mildly disliked, not despised) and the heavy-handed United Way stuff was alive and well. Each department head was responsible for getting their staffs to give and the dept. head with the fewest donations got a considerable amount of grief.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Media General, at least in Richmond, used to do a big United Way push as well. There was a bit of pressure on us to donate. Our long-time SE said, quite loudly, "I'll choose my own charities, thank you, and I won't suggest to my staff that they do anything different."

Is it any wonder we loved the guy?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We had one of those United Way "drives" at my paper about four or five years ago. I took the paperwork, threw it in the trash and never heard another word about it.

Publishers have some nerve dunning their serfs.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Good for him.

And good for him/her.

I worked for MG as well, and I didn't pledge to UW in part because of the pressure. Which is a shame for the United Way. I'll donate to who I choose to donate to, thanks.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I've never understood the drives and the pressure from publishers and management to give to United Way, especially when most of us make about 1/5 what they do.

I do understand that United Way is one of the most crooked, corrupt charities you can give to and it's been that way for a good 50-60 years.

My newspaper has pushed this shit on us for a decade or more. Once a year, we get a memo, a pledge card or some bullshit flyer asking/suggesting that we donate. I just toss it in the trash.

About eight years ago, my publisher even asked why I won't give and I told him the truth. My family had a bad experience with United Way and they'll never see a nickel of my money. That's all I told him. I still get the pledge cards and memos, but I haven't been personally asked to give since.

For the record, I'm happy to donate a few bucks to the Humane Society when they pass that stuff out. But the United Way ain't getting shit from me.

11. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

It's not just Montgomery -- pretty sure this is Gannett-wide. (We got the forms at my shop, too.) I got them a decade ago when I worked in Tribune Co. as well. There was a huge push for 100 percent return of forms, even if you weren't donating.

Still haven't filled out my first one.

12. Investigator Gary

Investigator Gary New Member

What is the relationship between newspapers and the United Way? Every paper I've worked at has collected money for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted