1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, on the market?!?!?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Aug 9, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wall Street Journal says Gannett making moves that indicate a sale might be happening.

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/deals/2007/08/09/is-gannett-girding-for-a-sale/

My first thought was, "whoa."

2. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Mr. Murdoch.

Paging Rupert Murdoch.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

More like Lee Enterprises or Singleton given his previous dealings with Gannett.

4. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

I don't think Singleton has the capital for that kind of acquisition, although he did make rumblings about getting bigger portions of KRT, so......

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The stock sure could use a Murdoch-size goosing.

I'd be happy to get out (of at least half of mine) if rumors or lies or whatever would drive the price back to the $80-90 range.

Dream on, I guess.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Lee stock has tanked the last year or so. Not sure they have the up-front cash for such a massive purchase. Maybe they'd cherry-pick, though, and completely dominate Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin and Montana.

7. I'm going to find some citizen journalists to get to the bottom of this.

8. somewriter

somewriter Member

It makes sense in that the company is as cheap as it has been in a long time or as cheap as it figures to be for a while. But I can't figure out who'd be a potential buyer.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That's the kicker, as far as I'm concerned. I can't imagine who would shell out that kind of money. Seems like they would have to sell a lot of individual properties to make it feasible.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Private. Equity. Firm.

11. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

Maybe somebody can take out a subprime mortgage on Gannett. That'll do it.

12. The Commish

The Commish Guest

That WSJ hints at managers buying Gannett. I would also think if Dow Jones were to sell Ottaway, as also mentioned at Romenesko, Gannett would be a player.

Draft saved Draft deleted