1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Aug 1, 2013.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Register and P-C are both Gannett.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Layoffs hit Fort Myers today. :(

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If the company took the "same pot" outlook to things, that would be fine. But it's a pretty safe bet that Iowa City will be expected to hit its revenue and profit numbers the same as it was before, without regard to how they were cut off at the knees with the coverage of their No. 1 sports beat.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

They are indeed. Ryan was the first SE I freelanced for when I moved to Iowa. He couldn't offer much and I got the distinct impression he felt bad about the lowball figure, but his hands were tied. I only mention that because it seems to me he put up with a lot of crap for a lot of years for the good of the paper and its readers. Hard to tell if he quit or was canned, but a media outlet covering Iowa sports would be wise to bring Ryan on board.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

From what I can gather, Green Bay Press Gazette SE Mike Vandermause was a victim of the hatchet job but has slid into the role vacated when Rob Demovsky left for ESPN. I know the first part of that is true. Can anyone else confirm the second?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm guessing that particular issue won't affect ad revenue all that much.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Since this has been a topic of discussion on a Gannett thread, exactly how oblivious are you?

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

According to his Twitter bio, he's covering the Packers now. He previously was the sports editor. Question: Who's the sports editor now?

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Among those let go were Mike Purdy, who was a damn institution there, as well as Tariq Lee -- a young hire who covered high schools there for almost a year.

A shame.

rb

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I believe it's an interim guy, Robert Zizzo, who was assistant SE.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Zizzo was sports editor in Fresno, wasn't he? A talented guy.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Lovely business, this is.

Draft saved Draft deleted