1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I got bounced, they offered me 20 weeks and then I negotiated it to 26 weeks because of comp time owed, etc. Obviously, they called it something else... I had only been there for five years. I also negotiated it to be paid in lump sums, which helped a lot.

Unbelievable that they're getting nothing now...

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Holy shit, not Randy Peterson?

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

No, not Randy. Rather not ID him, but it's another very prolific writer on the staff.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I heard two in sports in Jackson.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gannett Blog said more layoffs through Monday and another round is likely in a few months...

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They've got to finance the corporate bonuses somehow.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Anyone hear names?

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Was Bart Wright at the Greenville News part of the cuts? He's no longer listed on the paper's website and is now a contributor for the Gamecocks' propaganda newspaper Spurs and Feathers.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Just saw this and found it interesting - though I can't fathom this is true ...

The Iowa City paper will no longer cover sports at the University of Iowa. Instead, they will get shared content from the Des Moines Register and its reporters two hours away. I don't know if it's unprecedented for a Division I hometown paper to use another paper's coverage of that school's sports entirely, but it's gotta be close.

https://www.facebook.com/1630KCJJ/posts/10151594333497709

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

WTF? Shouldn't that be the OTHER way around?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Of course not.

It's appears like a horrible business decision, incidentally. What resources does the DMR throw at Iowa?

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I guess Pat Harty is one Depressed Citizen ... [/old Iowa City joke]

And if you think this move is stupid for football ... wait until hoops season.

1.5: Over/under on the number of snowy evenings it takes for the Register writers to blow off driving blind on I-80 to cover the Hawkeye men's basketball team.

Draft saved Draft deleted